AVG 2011 Free, version 10.0.1375

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by John Bull, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Looking for a tiny tweak here, probably not going to get one, but this is the place to ask.

My AVG as above is a new update that I have only had for a few days.
    Up until now, no problems, as many of you know, I like AVG. Did give Avast a try some days ago, but never got on with it, seemed to have an issue with my other programs, possibly ZA, so I dumped it and put AVG back.

Question ?

This version includes a pop-up panel that keeps coming up regularly to a max. interval of 4 hours, nagging me to scan my computer. There is no way supplied to cancel it or tell it to go away and not come back, only postpone it, then up it comes again in 4 hours or less.

I am not going anywhere near AVG, so does anybody know how I can tweak this curse and get rid of it ?
    I rarely use AVG to scan my system, I have other programs.

Many thanks
    John

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well you would be better served in the other Av forum?

3. carat

carat Guest

Screenshot please - I didn't notice this pop-up ... :)

4. John Bull

I will give a screen shot when next it appears. I have never had a nag panel come up on AVG before, maybe this version nags when first installed to coax the user to make a system scan. I suspect this is the case. I have now done a full AVG system scan and will see if it pops up again - I hope it will not, but we cannot tell what the minds of these people think.

If it does, then I will take a screen shot.

What these people should recognise is that we all use other programs to scan our computers. I have AVG as an AV plus other security features program and whilst I do scan by AVG now and again, I rely on my other AV and anti-malware programs to check me out.

Using Sandboxie, AV activity is relegated to second place.

Perhaps now I have given it what it wants, it will not pop up again.

John

The Overview looks like this :-
    AVG 2011.JPG

Where the red dot items are of no interest to me.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Isn't the nag coming from PC Analyzer? I remember it was constantly nagging me when I tested it in a virtual machine months ago.

6. John Bull

No, the PCA does not nag me with anything more than just saying it is not enabled on the Overview. As you almost certainly appreciate, I would think that user interest in their PCA may "just" exceed zero if they are lucky. It is rubbish.

Thanks for the comment.
    John

** As I said, I am hoping that now I have given them their moment of glory by doing a full scan, that wretched pop-up has been vaporized.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

normally the pop up you are talking about is from the pc analyzer i have seen it and it does exactly what you are talking about. it does not say that is what it is from but when i spoke with avg they told me it was part of the pca, it was a pain in the neck is what it was.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Have they fixed the damn flashing of interface on WinXP when you hover a mouse cursor over top right corner? It has been half a year after the release of 2011 version and they still haven't fixed that.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Start the scan and immediately stop it by accessing the scan through the AVG interface. That should stop the nagging for at least a few days.

10. carat

carat Guest

I noticed this pop up as well :doubt: There should be an option to disable/uninstall PC Analyzer :doubt:

11. John Bull

Firstly, I thank everybody for their kind comments and interest.

Hush-Hush ! Don`t tell AVG, but the damned pop-up I said about appears to have retired to it`s coffin. At least I have`nt seen the thing since I carried out a full PC scan like it kept whining for.

I hope it has gone back to the barbarian at AVG who created it. Gut feel, tell`s me that looks too easy - it`ll be back no doubt.

Anyway fella`s, if I raised a thread for nothing, I am sorry, but I really thought the thing was going to haunt me every 4 hours for the rest of my life and I hoped that some genius at Wilder`s could give me a solution to kill it off. Garlic, silver bullets, X`s and lots of "F" words did not work.

John

PS - Whoever let that numb-skull at AVG loose to pollute their lovely new AVG 2011 with that PC Analyser, should go see a shrink.

12. gery

gery Registered Member

amen:thumb: :thumb:

13. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

They need to trim back AVG free, to much in GUI :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. gery

gery Registered Member

i loved the old gui very very much. they shouldn't have touched it at all. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.