Avetix antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by marciocruz, Jul 1, 2014.

1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Most free antivirus like Zone Alarm, Agnitum, AVG, Avira etc. lets you get only a single automatic update if I am not wrong.

2. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Avira free automatically updates every 6 hours. I don't know about the others.

3. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

At times, a licensee of worthwhile repute is often ahead of BD's version Web site. This is Lavasoft. :thumb:

BDupdateTXT.jpg

4. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Well I installed and all went well. Unfortunately as one person before I cant get it to update no matter what I do. Even turned my firewall off but still no love. It keeps saying "To check for updates you must activate your internet connection". Funny cuz when I click on their support area on the home page it does connect me....Anyone have this problem but got it fixed? It wont even let me scan as it tells me I must update first. I would like to give this a try but if I cant get any updates it wont last long.

5. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Did you try it with windows firewall only?
    I'm using Avetix on 2 pc's one wit spyshelter firewall and the other pc has windows firewall active, updates okay for me.

6. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Nope didnt work!! Actually uninstalled my Comodo Firewall, activated the Windows Firewall and still getting the message to activate my internet connection. Probably something simple and stupid but guess it's beyond me....my internet is working just fine for everything else...

7. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

I have sent a message to Avetix support, we shall see what they have to say, I will report any findings here.......

8. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

All that Avetix has is the option for proxy but that's about it when it comes to internet connection. I have been in contact with the Avetix support and can say that they are quite prompt and friendly bunch. Avetix uses latest BitDefender SDK, they are also working on their heuristic and behavioural engine. Seems they also use some kind of proprietary engine with the BitDefender engine.

They are also doing security suite which will have firewall, but when that comes no idea.

9. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

My ISP doesnt use a proxy but I did try to check that option and made no difference. Nothing else that I can think of myself to try...

10. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Yea :/ If your internet works otherwise then the Avetix is the culprit.

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Avetix doesn't update in my institute that uses Proxy with authentication although Avetix supports such protocol. Many are experiencing update problems. So, there must be some problems on their side.
    Btw, Avetix seriously do better with quarantine encryption. It sometimes detects items in its own quarantine.

12. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Curious they support such feature but then it's not functioning as it should..
    That sounds bit worrisome, picking up things from it's own quarantine o_O
    I invited their CIO/Marketing Manager to join wilderssecurity also sended him some question's regarding their product. Well see if he respond's next week. :thumb:

13. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I tried it on one of my machines. It bogged it down and I got BSOD. It also failed to uninstall properly. Thumbs down!

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hmm, it seems that Avetix causes different problems in different PCs. So, finally we have got the "Perfect Clone of Bitdefender". ;) :p

15. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Very good sg09.:D

Maybe they should stop all further development just to be like Bitdefender free ?

Regards Eck:)

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks gave me a huge smile. But I have to report BitDefender IS is running smoooth here. I know, I was shocked too.

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@zapjb I don't want to go out of topic. But the new BD IS 2015 disappointed me again with a strange issue.

18. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

You can toss RoboScan into that mix. And until some one actually posts up some observations on the timing of Avetix/BD update.txt data, I'm throwing in Avetix, too.

BTW, I remember that Ikarus' default defs update interval was 20 minutes! And you couldn't change it. Not sure if it's still so.

Cheers.

19. Hybride_F1

Hybride_F1 Registered Member

Sorry for ot. You should be able to change the interval in the guardx.conf file but you still can't change it in the program (not really needed).

20. ziggy_IKARUSvienna

ziggy_IKARUSvienna Registered Member

Yes, the Update interval is still 20 minutes.

21. ziggy_IKARUSvienna

ziggy_IKARUSvienna Registered Member

Not possible cause hardcoded.

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just installed Avetix after finding it listed at Softpedia. The install was very quick. After the install finished, I was expecting Avetix to open, but it went straight to the system tray.

Sadly like other have experienced, it also won't update for me. As a result, I can't use it.

I have just emailed their technical support to see if they can offer a solution, as it really does look like and intersting antivirus, and I do want to try it.

A definite plus is that on the manual scan screen you can set it to prompt for what action to take when a threat is found (this is the default setting, which can be changed). However, it would seem that the on access scanner automatically quarantines threats, which is aways a big issue for me.

23. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I have installed it on several computers.
    After the install, when the icon appears in the tray, open the program and trigger a manual update.
    Aat least that's what I remember doing.

24. roger_m

That's what I did, and it could not connect to the update servers. After I rebooted Windows, there was a popup Window which appeared briefly saying that Avetix had been updated - but this was not the case, it still had not downloaded any updates.

I uninstalled it last night fully with Revo to try another antivirus. I just reinstalled Avetix, and it is was able to start updating - albeit very slowly. From what I can tell the update issue was due to their update server being overloaded. It will be less of an issue once the initial update of 179 MB update is downloaded as future incremental updates should be really small. I had to go away for a while and put my computer to sleep, with about 75% of download complete. When my laptop resumed from sleep the download resumed briefly then stopped, and Avetix gave up on trying to update.

Aveitx now shows it has downloaded two updates, but shows it has 0 virus definitions - and won't let me do a scan yet. When I try to update again, it shows there are still 55 MB of updates to download.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  25. roger_m

It still won't finish updating. There are two lots of definition files to download initially. The first 170 MB update completes, but second one of 55 MB won't install, even though the download completes. Hopefully their technical support can help me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.