AVERT v2.2 - Coming soon!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by weirddemon, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

@weirddemon
    I shall thank you for this great project. It's always cool to hear about improvements and development moving on.
    By the way, have you considered what would be the differences between the free and the paid versions?

2. weirddemon

weirddemon Registered Member

Not yet. I'm going to have to work that out. I was thinking of keeping v2.1 the free version and then each version past that be the paid version.

I was also thinking of just making the paid version a version higher than the free version. So as newer of version of AVERT are released, the free one gets and update as well, but just at a slower pace. So if I release version 3.0 of the paid version, then I'll release version 2.9 of the free version.

Then the other way I thought of was just to have the paid version and free pretty much the same with the exception of a few different features like the OS cleanup wizard, startup manager, and being able to choose which viruses to remove, etc

Any suggestions are welcomed though :)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

To make the paid version worthwhile You could make the free version a couple of updates back.

4. weirddemon

Thanks for the suggestion, bigc73542. That's a great idea.

I wanted to provide some more information about AVERT's progress.

In every version of AVERT, from 2.1 and below, the user has had to keep up with the URLs for signatures. Some AV/AS apps can update themselves, but most of them have to be updated manually. The manufacturer's provide the user with a URL to download those signatures.

I'll use Trend Micro as an example. The current URL for Trend Micro's signatures is:

But just a couple of months ago, it was:

For obvious reasons, the name of the signature file has changed and so that means the URL itself has changed. When I first made AVERT, I was aware of this issue, so I created a method that allowed the user to update these URLs themselves. The URLs were stored within an XML file that was downloaded with AVERT and they could be changed within AVERT. In theory, this was a great idea. However, I soon found out that it was pretty much useless.

Most users don't know how to find the latest URL and even those who could, it's not as simple as copy and pasting. Plus, it was annoying for the user to have to do this especially since they never knew when the URL was outdated.

So in future versions of AVERT, starting with v2.2, users won't have to worry about this. I'm in the process of finishing up a new feature that will grab the latest URL for signature updates automatically. No more XML file! No more manually updating the file! Huzzah!!!

Another big thing I'd like to share is the addition of 2 more portable scanners and one more installed scanner.

Take a look:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1992/19918290.png

That makes 10 portable scanners and 2 installed scanners!!!

I'm really excited about the addition of the new scanners. I love Spybot S&D and was really happy when they finally released a legitimate portable version. And who doesn't love MSSE? Right? I just wish it was portable

As always, thanks again guys for the support. If you have any question, suggestion, or concerns, ask me here or you can email me at avertsoftware at gmail.com

5. weirddemon

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

You should put the website in your signature :rolleyes:

7. weirddemon

Great. Suggestion.

Thanks

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha no problem man :D

I though about it because i was like, "let's download the program to give it a try, wait . . . where's the link" :)
    Had to Google ;)

9. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Ok i installed the product downloading the engines.. about the paid version I think it would be great if the user can scan with avira and panda and remove malicious content..I noticed right now the user needs the avira license file so when you put up the paid version take the hassle out from user side..

10. weirddemon

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact Avira and Panda to see what I can do.

That's a great suggestion. Though the only "problem" I can see, is a making a precedent for the other companies. If they see I'm selling licenses for Avira and Panda and not their software, that might provoke them to not allow me to use thier software without also selling their licenses.

However, I'm going to try and make it perfectly clear that when purchasing AVERT, you aren't purchasing the software it utilizes and I'll provide links to the vendor's sites.

So, we'll just see how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  11. Kernelwars

will avert function in safe mode? :thumb:

12. weirddemon

Yup. I'm also looking into making a version which works in a preinstallation environment.

13. Kernelwars

well i have to disagree..you can come with a contract with those vendors and fetch the updates regularly.. this way even if you make your product a paid for..ppl will get several engines and signatures..making sure they will be able to remove malwares when infected..

14. Kernelwars

also see if can fetch dr. web cureit.. IME it has great detection and helps computer repair business / individuals everyday..

15. Kernelwars

getting installation failed msgs when running sysclean trendmicro for scan

16. weirddemon

That always happens and it's extremely frustrating. I can't do anything about that. I can't get a hold of Trend Micro directly to see what the issue is and the Trend Micro forums have proven to be no help.

It doesn't appear to actually affect the scan in any way though.

17. weirddemon

I would love to use Dr. Web. However, their free portable app doesn't have the ability to fully automate it. It pops up these advertisements to purchase the full version, which screws with the automation process.

IME?

18. Kernelwars

[in my experience-IME].. you could contact them as they have cureit for business purpose too..theres no ads to purchase anything... if you get it for paid for users..i think this way you can easily compete with competition and make a valid point why someone is going to need the utility

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The removing part sounds great, but cooperation from the vendors to such a small thing doesn't really sounds possible IMO :rolleyes:
    Not saying it's not possible though :D

20. weirddemon

Removing part? What are you referring to?

As for participation from the vendors, it may not seem viable, but you would be surprised.

In case you're not familiar with it, OPSWAT has something similar to AVERT called Metascan. The two biggest difference are the fact that it mainly comes as an API; intended for developers. That and it's crazy expensive. But, when you purchase their software, you also purchase the licenses for each scanner. So, vendors aren't against this type of thing, as long as they're getting paid.

With that being said, I should be okay with selling AVERT so as long as it's clear you aren't paying for the scanners unless I work something out with Panda and Avira like I mentioned. Avira might be hard to work with, but I have a feeling Panda will be pretty easy. I have been in talks with them for over a year now and they have no problem with me incorporating Panda into AVERT and I doubt they'll have an issue with it if they get paid ;)

Thanks

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

LOL, Sorry man, i misunderstood your previous post, when he said removal i though AVERT didn't remove malware, but it does.

I just realized that you were talking about Avira needing a license file from the trial or paid for it to work :D :thumb:
    Keep up the good work!

22. weirddemon

Hey guys.

I'm just letting everyone know that v2.2 is being delayed for less than a week. The website guy hasn't had time to finish up the site, but it should be done soon.

I've also encountered an issue during testing, that's making me re-write some of the code.

Sorry for the delay!

Thanks

23. Kernelwars

Keep up the good work:thumb:

24. weirddemon

Thanks. I really appreciate the support.

I'm happy to say after many hours of coding and recoding today, that AVERT v2.2 is ready to go. I've fixed everything, updated a couple more and have tested it. All looks well.

At this point, I'm just waiting on my website guy to pull through. Once he does, I'll add the appropriate content and then v2.2 can be downloaded.

In the meantime, I'll continue prodding AVERT to make sure nothing unexpected comes up, along with finishing up the help file.

Also, I created a Twiiter and Facebook page for AVERT.

Thanks again!

25. Kernelwars

following ur twitter:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.