Avert Stinger??? Reliable Standalone proggy? I used it occasionally in the past.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wills, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I was wondering if Avert Stinger was still a fairly reliable proggy to use as a "Standalone". I have my regular security programs that I update and scan with, however occasionally I used to use Avert.
    I stopped using it after there was an issue with it not that long ago.
    Just thought I would do a post, I do know it is "use at your own risk"; however it never gave me problems in the past and i wondered if it now is reasonable to consider using it again.
    My computer has never been infected or had problems, i simply thought it was a good idea to use periodically.

I look forward to comments, thankyou

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never understood the purpose of Stinger, even after re-reading this quote. Very confusing for typical users.

Personally, I think it's a handy single file, that doesn't need a full installation and runs immediately after double clicking it, even from a CD.
    If you have McAfee AntiVirus Scanner, I don't think that you need Stinger too.
    After all Stinger scans only for 53 malwares, which isn't even a microscopic drop in the malware ocean.

Watch your thread for awhile, maybe you get smarter answers than mine. :D

3. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

I guess the main limitation with stinger is the limited, albeit common, number of malwares it is capable of detecting and removing.

As mentioned above, there are better choices out there for system administrators which the quote above would suggest is it's target audience. Equally, there are also better choices for home users looking for a backup on demand scanner to compliment their main AV real time protection.

Ned

4. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

I've used Stinger often for corporate users that didn't have any or an up-to-date AV on their home systems. Stinger was an adequate and free tool I could provide them with on a floppy disk. This way I also put an end to worms on home systems constantly sending worms to our corporate e-mail addresses.

Stinger's purpose as a free clean-up tool has been surpassed by Dr.Web CureIT!, which allows you to scan and cure without installing Dr.Web AV. Although it's very odd that they link to their windows download page, but no longer provide a download link for CureIT! ?

Another free scanning tool based on the Kaspersky engine is MicroWorld AntiVirus Toolkit Utility (MWAV), although it only scans and doesn't clean.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have tried to find and download CureIt several times without success. Anyone have it, and if it is not too large, would you send it to me?

Thanks,
    Jerry

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

ftp://ftp.drweb.ru/pub/drweb/cureit/. :)

7. shek

shek Registered Member

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thank you both, but I cannot access that site. I have tried before. I have tried with IE, NS, and FF. None will open the page.
    That is the only site that has ever happened to me with.
    Any ideas why? I suppose there is some setting that I need to change.

Thanks,
    Jerry

9. shek

shek Registered Member

JerryM---
    it is better to use a ftp client to get the cureit from drweb.
    if you want to use web browser to download it, you have to make sure your firewall doesn't block browser to reach remote port 21, or some other ports for passive mode, which are usually bigger than 10000.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Shek. One problem is that I don't even know what an ftp client is. I suspected that the ftp might be the problem, but I can't seem to do anything on the Dr Webb site for other downloads.

Jerry

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Look here for great tutorial.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I'll try to figure it out.
    Jerry

13. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I just wondered if this Dr. Web has updates like AVERT Stinger did and it was listed in www.dozleng.com and I would download the updated version and do a scan.

Is this a reliable standalone scanner, as i do have my A/V, it is simply occasionally I would use Trend Micro House Call or Avert Stinger.

I would appreciate comments, thankyou.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.