"Avenue A, Inc" still active

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MaineMan, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineMan

MaineMan Registered Member

I am new to SpywareBlaster so I may have screwed something up. However, on the protection list I checked all, including Avenue A, Inc. Now, when running (particularly Yahoo sites) I am still peppered with the Spybot S&D Resident popup which tells me that "Spybot S&D has blocked the download of Avenue A, Inc". Is there not some way to eliminate this pernicious Avenue A animalo_O

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Someone needs to confirm this, but I believe the way Spybot's active download blocker works is it catches the item first even if you've got settings or other protections that would still have prevented the item from getting on your system.

To test this, since we're only talk a cookie in this case, you could turn off Spybot's active protection (Spybot > Immunize > "Uninstall" the download blocker for IE), restart your browser. Go to the same site (or sites) that you are getting this warning from. Then close the browser and check for the presence of Avenue A. (You could check for the cookie directly in IE, or run a scan with Spybot.)

If your other protection, in this case SpywareBlaster, is covering this item, it won't have gotten on your system. If it is on your system then it's a matter of finding out exactly what the item is and whether SpywareBlaster can and could protect against it.

For myself, I used to get similar warning from Spybot's download protection... The alerts became too many so I just told it (in Spybot) to "Block all bad pages silently" in the Immunize screen. Problem solved. :)

3. MaineMan

MaineMan Registered Member

Thanks, LowWaterMark. I used the "Block...silently" option in the Immunize section of Spybot S&D and so far, all fingers and toes crossed, I have been in and out of the browser (IE6) several times and have not seen the popup. I don't mind Spybot blocking the download (want it to if SpywareBlaster has not cut it off entirely!), I just don't need to be reminded of it each and every time. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.