AVComparatives Nov 2005 overview.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kalpik, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Most likely due to heuristics.

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Looks like Avast is still at standard. I was hoping to see it jump up a notch but I was really surprised at Symantec dropping to standard. I wonder whats up with that?

4. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

have the result done yet ? cause i cant find it ?

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

AtomicEd I wouldn't worry about symantec getting a standard, you have to take all of these test's with a grain of salt anyway;)

6. The Hammer

That's the retrospective test. Symantec excels in the on demand.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't understand the differences in the retrospective test, and an on-demand test. Could someone give me a few sentences or a paragraph to explain it.
    I did notice that in the past NOD creamed all others in the retrospective test.
    How does that fit in the real world?

Jerry

8. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

There's plenty of info on the site regarding the tests. Not too hard to find by using the search button and surfing av-comparatives, there are two links near the bottom of the home page that explain the methodology.

In a nutshell (to get the gist) On-Demand test has up-to-date signatures with respect to the sample... in the Retro, older signatures used on a recent sample to test the app's ability to find baddies with older signatures.

Real world... any new outbreak that doesn't have signatures, apps that score well in retro have a better chance of stopping the baddie than those that don't.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  9. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Thanks, I know your right about this. Actually for taking the tests with a grain of salt is why I originally went with Avast since it picked up some trojans on the same web site during my personal trial that Nod had completely missed. I guess it just surprised me to see it at first. I am pretty sure I will be going with NIS 2006 in January when my subscription runs out unless KIS 2006 is out and looks good before then.

10. The Hammer

KIS 2006 will look good, that's a given. But Norton 2006 is good now.

11. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I think we can't expect any good heuristics test results from avast!, because of (as far as I know) avast! has no traditional heuristics in its on-demand scaner at all so we can't expect any good results from this kind of test from avast!.

I think standard level is good enough for an AV that has no heuristics in its on-demand scanner such as avast!, however, it seems to be better than some AV that have heuristics such as AVG.

However, avast! has generic detection in its on-access/on-demand scanner and featured so-called heuristics module in its e-mail scanner that can be helpful in some real-world outbreak but cannot be tested in av-comparatives.

12. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

For November it says "coming soon" when I go to the site. Am I looking in the wrong place?

13. The Hammer

There is a llink below that one that says overview. Click on that one. It's just above the add for Centrino Hardware control.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Kaspersky went down its performance on the heuristics...

The rest seems quite normal, and BitDefender seems to are making a great job on the overall protection...

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

The overviews are released some days before in order to prepare peoples mentally about the incoming results :p. The official release date for the reports and results is the 1st december (that's why it says 'coming soon').

16. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

:D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

17. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I think that AV Compartives don't needs to be looked at with salt closeby...

18. rothko

rothko Registered Member

very true. i prefer a single malt whiskey. and i always have my nurse on standby.

19. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

So HIVE does work after all :D

Now I see BitDefender vs. NOD32 in the future - red apples to green apples (Yum both taste nice) :D :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.