avast

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sandra, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandra

sandra Registered Member

IN THE AVAST FORUM IT IS WRITTEN THAT

Most of the major dangers come from Worms, trojans, rootkits.

NOD is NO good in dealing with these 3 here above mentioned. Although there updating there signatures amazing fast with trojans, just to cope up with the rest of the AV's.

NOD offers NO unpacking at all for its on-acess scanner, and support only a few packers on its on-demand engine.

It also has no strong heuristics > only if you run it with "advanced heuristics" wich must be started using a 3rd party file. They won't include it "standard" because it has to deal with to many false alerts (just like Dr. Web).

is it true ?

http://forum.avast.com/showthread.php?t=2737

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I see more false positives with Avast than with NOD or any other one

the majority of FP reports in AVAST come when you use an online scanner, particularly housecall, avast always detects housecall & panda as a virus

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Not true. Worm detection is at the top of the heap--one of the best worm detectors made. Trojan detection is "very good" IMO--and getting better every day.

AH is an integral part of IMON. No "third party file" necessary. Internet/e-mail is where ~99% of malware comes from. NOD32 has arguably the BEST heuristics of any AV.

You'll also notice that Pavel mentioned: "...viruses and worms have much higher priority (than trojans/rootkits)"

In that area--NOD32 has no equal--and yes, that includes good ol' Avast! ;)

Those are the "facts". ;)

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

My god! Can someone please point me to a thread or a post where Nod32 doesn't get mentioned or take a bashing? o_O ;)

Kev
    :)

5. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

:D :D

6. sunita

sunita Registered Member

but how to scan a file which is in archive ?

7. wizard

wizard Registered Member

This is wrong. Yes at the moment worms are a big threat. NOD32 deals with this point perfectly (100% ITW detection in several tests) and offers a quiet good heuristic for worm detection.

For trojans (as stated several times before) it would be better to use a seperate AT program. Same recommendation is also for AVAST! If you are intrested in just one program for virus and trojan detection you better should take a look at Kaspersky Antivirus or a product that uses the KAV engine like AVK or F-Secure.

For rootkits I disagree that it is a big threat. This is becoming more and more a hot discussion topic in security related forums because the describtion looks a little bit more scary than the actual backdoor-trojans. But from a point of wide spread rootkits are at the moment no real threat.

Wrong.

Wrong.

The advanced heuristic is placed at the moment in the IMON component which scans your email. Since advanced heuristic is mainly designed to detect malware which spreads via email it makes more sense to scan just the files attached to emails instead of all files on your hard-drive all the time which slows down the scanning spead.

Just a small tip from my side: Maybe you should get your information next time not in the web forum of a competitive product. ;)

wizard

8. waldo

waldo Registered Member

I agree 100 % :D

I never ment to bash NOD, i couldn't care less if its good or bad (i don't & never will use it)...

I just gave my personal opinions.

Best thing to do, if you want information about NOD and opinions of NOD users, is to ask it here at Wilders at the official Nod forum.

Kind regards,

Waldo

Btw : this is getting to silly afterall.

9. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

I haven't any experience with NOD, but I've used Avast for months and I think in that forum they too often said Avast is the best.

10. sunita

sunita Registered Member

Btw : this is getting to silly afterall

what does that mean ?

11. waldo

waldo Registered Member

Too often ? maybe...

But it's true that AVAST is getting good. As good as the expensive commercials.

It's just that "whe" at Avast forum are all very "close", even with the vendors and creators of it. So it's normal whe find it "the best".

I never like to bash other products (i strongly dislike it), and whe all know that Kaspersky & Macafee are still better at detecting trojans and other non-virii malware than Avast. This is just another league. But Avast is getting there ;)

Waldo

12. waldo

waldo Registered Member

This means that it always (for many threads & post here at Wilders and DSL) turns out in a silly discussion on what product is the best.

There are no bad AV's around these days...It just depends on your needs.

It also means, that this is a pointless discussion.

Here you learn about how good NOD is...on other forums it get bashed...It's up to the user to decide...not us.

Waldo

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

waldo,

Well, chances are big indeed over on the NOD32 Forums. Then again, we do have this "Other Antiviruses" Forum for good reasons: everyone is entitled over here to express his/hers own opinion or ask questions in regard to all other AVs - as happens fairly often ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.