AVAST!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the insider, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Point is, the word top of the line is relative, if I have been virus free with Avast, that to me is top of the line, its matter of perception and I have seen so many of the so called top of the line falter when the going gets tough. More so, even if I do have the so-called top of the line AV, I for one would never depend on just one and time to time would scan with other programs as well, getting second or third opinion here is no harm.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2006
  2. the insider

the insider Registered Member

Just to let you folks know ..... I had to remove Avast! ...... It slowed my surfing in a way that it looked like slow motion ..... I am very very sad because I liked the prog ! Reason? I don't know! Maybe someone has an idea ? I'm using Mcafee now ...:'(

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Did you try shutting off Web Scanner to see if it made any improvement?

4. the insider

But .... if I do that am I still protected from the internet dangers ? What it's function ? o_O

5. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

It's no option to shut down certain modules in order to increase performance of an AV scanner. You use a scanner for proper security and the same thing has been stated before regarding KAV and Kis. I have problems with performance when using these and therefore I choose a scanner which didn't interfere with my systems performance. The two which performed just great on my pc are: Nod32 and Avira Personal Premium and third AVG Pro, but don't use that because of the low detection ratings.

6. the insider

yes i agree but let's assume it's the webshield which is the cause (I can't check it for now) what is it's purpose ? is it really necessary or just an secondary security ? :doubt:

7. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Just my idea of using an AV scanner with the built-in modules! Most 'good' scanners are setup with Web scanning, E-mail scanning and so on. I have all these modules active, as I think that when baddies are stopped at the core, before hitting your hard disk, is the main purpose of using such scanners. Look at Nod, Kav, Avast etc., they all have these modules and if they weren't really needed, why bother building these complicated products? Always the same discussion about the need or not for scanning e-mail. Why letting an infected email into your computer, while you can stop it at the doorstep? I know......as soon as you open anything with an infection, it will be stopped as well, but I keep on wondering why so many scanner producers build in all these options. Leaving it bare, it would make it a lot cheaper and easier. F-Prot never had email scanning and with the new version, it does. Why would they bother if it isn't really needed? A lot of people using Kav or Kis have posted very often about the programs causing slowdowns and a lot of reactions were always with the tip to disable certain modules, just to stay at the proper system speed! I had the same issue with Dr. Web months ago. It didn't work on my system, as it took ages to scan large archives and exe files. The first tip was: just disable archive scanning, isn't needed! I just switched to another scanner, which runs well on my computer.

8. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry if I am a bit out of subject. I react to a wide spread idea even in this forum: the function of an antivirus scanner in a computer.

Isn't this commonly called marketing? :cool:

Anyway, you can have all these kinds of "scanners", they will at best only stop what they know through their signatures and heuristics, which means a poor 50% at any given time.

If you want to keep your house clean, you don't wait for the dust at you door step with a floor cloth. You close your windows and filter the entering air, don't you? You can call it hips (either by policy restriction, isolation, rules, behaviour,...).
    If for whatever reason, an insect goes in, then you take your fly tox and kill it. You can call it scanner/cleaner.

Cheers

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Avast slows your surfing down? are you postive about this? No other culprits? That was the same reason(among others) I left KAV and BitDefender and came to Avast's camp. Even w/ web shield on (I have 6 shields running), there is no noticeable slowdown at all. I am so sorry you left the good place. I would look at other app w/ higher memory usage or internet proxy or your disk requiring defrag, registry needing defrag etc.Just to see whether you can sort out your problem. As I mentioned earlier, Avast is the only AV so far has not caused any sort of problem for me on the very same platform. Good Luck. :-*

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I had AVAST on my computer for nearly 2 years, including the latest version. I'd disable or remove it occasionally and try others, but always came back to AVAST. I noticed during that time that it slowed my system Waayyyy down compared to some of the others. I was running AVAST, Kerio 2.1.5 and nothing else but my browser of course.

Finally, I switched to Avira free a month or so ago and haven't regretted it at all. Even with the other stuff I now have on board, ProSecurity, CyberHawk, and GesWall, my system isn't slowed down like it was with AVAST. In fact, it runs just about as fast as it did with none of the stuff. I still have Kerio 2.1.5 as well. Should mention I also have Sandboxie but am not running it at present. When I do, I don't even know it's there as far as slowing anything down.

11. the insider

:thumb:
    indeed there was a reason for the slowing down and I found it (with the help of a friend) : for some reason the Windows firewall hadn't switched off !!! Now everything is running smooth and fast ! thanks for the replies and offered help !!!

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why on earth would Windows Firewall slowdown anything? Besides, why disable it!? It acts like it's not even there while it keeps bad incoming stuff away.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It seems unreasonable to me to get an AV, and then shut some of its protection down. If you have to do that go to another and you can find one that gives full protection on your machine with minimum or no slowdown.

Best,
    Jerry

14. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I would recommend either Spyware Dr. from http://www.pctools.com
    or spy Sweeper from http://www.webroot.com

Both are professional grade antispyware tools that actually works. However they are not free but will clean what all the others actually unfortunatelly:cautious: fail to pickup!

Not anymore... rather useless these days.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  15. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast never slowed my surfing down, the web shield has saved my ass couple of times with before nasties could get in but I guess all depends on system configuration, for most Avast works out quite well.

16. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I'd agree with that, I have Avast! on one computer, AntiVir on another and AVG on yet another, and can honestly say there is no noticable difference in surfing speed, of course they could all slow down to the same degree :D but then security has to have a price.

17. Arup

Arup Guest

I have Avast on my latest C2D E6700 with 4GB RAM as well as ancient dual XEON 800 1GB RAM machine and yet to feel any impact on surfing whatsoever.

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

BOClean would be a good addition.
    SUPERAntispyware is worth a look also.I use the free scanner and I like the program a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.