Avast with Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Seven64, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Do I really need a "web shield" if my browser is sand-boxed with SBIE? As for antivirus, I have OA++, and use "CoU IP Blocklist" and most countries are blocked.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Why not have a web shield? SBIE is nice for keeping malware contained, should you catch an infection, but the web shield could keep that infection from happening in the first place.

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

+1
    Its part of avast and its light to begin with. Layers are the best thing to keep you from getting infected. Might as well use the protection that it comes with.

4. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I agree, but if i delete the sandbox after browsing nothing can touch the system?

5. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

-- Yes. Keep the WebShield. As to either web shield well you can choose to use both as they co-exist okay or just one.

-- OA has a Web Shield of it's own I believe and it's HIPS component is superb. As mentioned earlier you can consider having just one web shield. Avast has it's own Behavioral shield that is if you are using the Pro or AIS version. If you do (have both Avast Behavioral shield and OA HIPS and they also co-exist okay) I'd choose just one and stick with OA's HIPS.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Oh yeah totally missed that he had OA++. All you really need is OA++ and sandboxie. I wouldn't even bother adding avast. The AV engine in OA++ is very good and its a great setup.

7. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

I have OA Premium and AIS v6(without the firewall and Behavioral Shield) in XP SP3. I do not use Avast Sandbox/Auto-Sandbox because I have SBIE.

I have Avast WebShield installed but I tend to disable it. I do use RunSafer for SRWare Iron/PSPad.exe, etc. Have not really tested OA++ as I don't have a license, hearing good reviews about it though.

They co-exist okay and I set both in their own exclusions.

:)

8. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

This is from OA's help file:

"The Web Shield uses DNS Checking to ensure that when you visit a financial, or other important website you are not being redirected to phishing websites designed to look like your banking website and capture your login information.

When you go to www.emsisoft.com, your computer must first look up the actual (numerical) address, called an IP address, to locate the server that the website resides on. Your system does this by asking your internet service provider"s DNS server every time a connection is made using a non-numerical address.

Attackers can hack into DNS servers and change entries (called "DNS Poisoning") to direct people's computers to a phishing website, all without ever attacking the person's computer directly. The phishing website is then designed to look identical to the website the person is expecting.

Online Armor protects you against this by comparing the DNS results from your DNS server (usually this will be your internet service provider's DNS server) with those of a trusted third-party DNS server, and alerting you if they do not match.

Online Armor's Web Shield also allows you to block your computer from making any connections to undesired domains"

What would be the difference between Avast and OA's webshield?
    Seems to me OA only protects when in banking mode, just the sites that you have set up under banking mode.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.