avast! v5.1.864 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hayc59, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! I was pondering the same thought regarding the behaviour shield...is it operational ? It states it is operational and has blocked and scanned twenty eight events today. So either my system is clean...and everything's O.K. then O.K. But while surfing there haven't been any warning notifications or Pop-Ups. I suspect it's still to early in the game as to pass a critique regarding it's effectiveness...as usual time will tell. Sincerely...Securon

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the avast people seem pretty adamant about keeping it as strictly a behaviour blocker so im happy with that, i dont want a classical HIPS either.

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Been testing the latest free version for 3-4 days now and am quite impressed. File,web,network and behavior shields installed which all seem to be working fine.
    No apparent conflicts with other security software or high cpu spikes or lag on the system. Nice final release.

4. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Thanks mate:thumb:

5. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Avast miss only 1 thing now untill its done !:eek:

6. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

There is a new fix on the latest release. I was a Dell user that had the BSOD. No problems now...loads and runs smooth!

7. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

8. smage

smage Registered Member

+1
    I hope that Avast will remain user friendly so that it can be used by everyone.

9. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Thanks!

Even using IE8 32 bit the shield script does not check anything on my W7 x64. There is some problem in uninstall this shield?

10. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

are This an Beta!?

11. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

is beta,i hope they fix the "unsecure" error in free version.
    dell user too.

12. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I wonder how good is the behavioral shield of Avast compare to Threatfire and Mamutu?

13. firzen771

not even close, its not quite as complete as those dedicated BB's, this BB's kinda like a supplement to the AV at least in my view.

14. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

And, I sincerely hope it won't become like any of those two. As you say, just a supplement to their AV, so that it is suitable for the novice user as well.

15. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Personnally, I hope their behavior shield will become like those two but nothing more so it won't cause any problems when combine with a HIPS...

16. firzen771

idk moonblood, i kinda agree with atomas, i would like it to get as comprehensive as Mamutu, but on the point bout running it with a classical HIPS i dont see any logical reason someone would do that in the first place so that doesnt sound like a very good reason to me.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Putting the decisions of security on user side... where I've seen this happening o_O

Why should the many people using avast!, who simply wish to enjoy the Internet to send and receive e-mails, browse, etc., and who have no security knowledge, be forced into deal with security, in the first place? *

Such features are for more knowledgeable people like folks here at Wilders Security Forums.
    I do understand why you're saying why you'd like that, but I'm thinking at a larger scale here.
    I'm 100% sure I'd have to disable it to relatives; and I'm sure others would do the same, otherwise they would be bombarded with questions and more questions from their relatives wondering what XYZ alert is all about, and even ask to disable it.
    I don't like that approach, to be honest. Heck, even I hate to be bombarded with such annoying questions, which is why I stopped using such security apps long ago. It was... well... annoying.

Let's see what happens, though.

-edit-

* Don't take me wrong, I'm one of those who believes people should learn/have the will to learn; but many simply won't "waste" that time, or truly cannot afford to waste it. It's the reality.

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I take it that the Antispam and mail shield components in the suite only work with Outlook and not WLM correct?

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I don't think it will be like a real BB, I'm not sure, but I think I read once enough data is gathered from users about the Behaviour Shield they will create an auto-decide option.

20. firzen771

i dont think its ever going to be fully automatic, they are collecting data thru it right now, but thats simply gunna help it decide whats good and whats bad, its alredy pretty quiet so i dont mind.

21. robinb

robinb Registered Member

no it works with Windows Live Mail- I use windows live mail and it scans emails in and out
    robin

22. firzen771

mail shield works with every mail program, the antispam module tho im not entirely sure, but what i do know is that ull only see an actual antispam button/integration in Outlook, while in other clients it wuld only work passively without u seeing an icon or anything.

23. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

avast updated on 5.1884

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

This is still a prerelease update:

25. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.