Avast 2015 releases

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hayc59, Oct 21, 2014.

1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed but this was a mega fail imo i only ever see results like this when i am testing a av and blasting it with huge amount of malware.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It sounds like that's exactly what she have done lol

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  3. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

zfactor you could have used avast! browser cleanup which in built if the client did a stock installation to clean up the toolbars and PUP's?? Are you sure PUP detection was on in the file system shield??

I guess ransomware is becoming a big problem for most AV's.I agree avast! should have caught that one because the rest of the PUP/toolbar crap is not a big deal.Could post screenshots of the ransomware here and the stuff that was on the system and in avast! chest??

Since the system was overtaken by ransom,it would be impossible for a AV update definations or stay active during the ransomware infection.Did you update avast definations after removing the ransomware and then try a boot time scan then maybe avast would have caught this stuff.Well I guess I have like 2 of these cases in past 1 week on wilders here.As you said,not used to seeing systems such badly infected.I am happy atleast to see that avast had boat load stuff in quarantine.

Even I had avast installed on my grandpa's PC and he just got infected with adware,pc optimizer crap.Of course PUP wasn't on but he didnt have something major.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The problem I see with Browser cleanup ,unless avast! has changed it, is that it requires you to change the search engine to Bing or Yahoo even if you had Google Search as default. There is no option to keep Google. Browser cleanup has a habit of calling add-ons bad when they in fact get 5 star ratings. And the ratings are not user driven. They are done by avast!. I still use avast on one computer with hardened mode on aggressive but I do not install any of the add-ons like Grimefighter or the Browser add-on. What I did not appreciate was the fact Dropbox was installed on my computer using the stub installer. No option was ever given to opt out.

5. skp14

skp14 Registered Member

My experience is I uninstalled the last version of Avast free and installed Bitdefender free 3 weeks ago. Every site I went to with BD, there was a long lag (5+ seconds) like it was checking the site before allowing me to go there. So I got tired of that, and was suprised to find a new new Avast free. Installed it and its fast surfing again and a very professional looking A/V. Avast has put alot of features into it, yet surfing is fast and smooth. I surf in Limited user mode which really cuts down on depth of infections that might ever happen. I think it's one of the best security things you can do.

6. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

7. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

8. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Unless you are being sarcastic I don't know what is so great about avast deleting legitimate add-ons.

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

He is being sarcastic.

10. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I kind of expected that after seeing Mortal Raptor's signature. ;)

Still have avast on one computer but don't know for how long. Jury is still out.

11. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Right on bro, I am cursed man, anytime I buy a 2 or more year license for an AV, it gets spoiled....

when I first tried avast! last year, it was super light, so I bought a 2 year license, next update, and my browsing became slower, Firefox tabs opening becake jerky in motion, so I uninstalled it, and kept monitoring their forums to see the kinds of issues the users are experiencing and never felt tempted to try it again......now this......deletion of addons silently.....hence why I sarcastically said.....Great :(

12. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Avast is not compatible with update kb 3000850 for windows 8.1
    - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160717.0-
    So be carefull not to install this update or to remove Avast before installing it. After installing it, my pc was slow like a snail and couldn't shut down/restart properly.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'll install it for the lolz and see if it'll realyl start to crawl...

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't really see any difference after installing those Windows updates...

16. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Did you buy CIS 6.0? :(

17. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

nope, so that won't spoil until I do, which I don't plan to :)

18. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

So it wasn't you...

Anyways, thanks a lot. Don't forget you can always use it for free. Actually I insist on the free. :D

19. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160717.msg1153446#msg1153446

From pk regarding KB3000850

"We have been able to simulate the problem in our lab and I think we fixed this issue. This Windows updates calls new memory related functions which are not fully compatible with avast. We'll prepare EmUpdate with the patched driver tomorrow morning (it means, all & new avast installations should be patched immediately, that's how it works)."

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Never, ever buy a 2 year license unless the company has stabilized the product, and you have tested a product for the full 30 days. I've made this mistake myself in the past, and I won't be duped again. I've been burned by a few AV's which I have blacklisted now, and won't even be looking at them again for a long time. I blacklisted Norton for 12+ years, but ended up buying a 2 year for Norton 2015 because it ran perfectly for 30 days, and Norton doesn't change all that quickly so I know I can get 2 years out of them without any issue.

A lot of companies are pushing new, untested technology into products these days, until they mature I would wait.. That includes Trend Micro, while it's scoring 100% consistently these days I think the technology in it needs another year to mature.

21. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

noted bro and I'll follow your advice. I stopped using Norton AV although it was one of the lightest because they have the darn duplicate tray icon error if you're on Windows 8/8.1 which they still didn't and will not fix! why? because they say it's just a cosmetic error and will not affect the functionality of the AV. Sorry but I cannot deal with such unprofessionalism so I stopped using it

22. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Norton 2015 has a duplicate tray error? I've never noted it, and have it on 18 machines/devices at home now. I keep trying other AV's on a test machine, but keep going back to Norton 2015 because it is so light, and the reputation/insight/sonar blocks every single thing my daughter tries to download and run. Cosmetic errors would be very very low on the bug tracker though for sure, that's pretty standard. I must be fortunate to have not experienced this error.

23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Here you go bro:

http://community.norton.com/forums/double-taskbar-icon-back

http://community.norton.com/forums/2-icons-system-tray

https://community.norton.com/forums/double-icons-tray

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140306073013AAiamhw

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/60002-2-icons-norton-tray.html

That's just a quick search I just did for you, first post is the one I reported.

Now as I red in their forums, this hasn't been fixed and won't ever be fixed.

PS: Doesn't happen on Windows 7 in my experience, only on Windows 8.1, just after a while after booting, you will see it if you expand the tray icons. very annoying

24. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Doesn't happen at all for any of the 18 machines/devices I have Norton 2015 on, but I do not have collapsed tray icons. I have 'always show all notifications and icons' checked under taskbar settings. This is a default setup I use on every machine I own or maintain. I think the fix may be as simple as enabling this feature. My guess, it's entirely cosmetic relating to the collapsing/expanding tray.

Also, since it's hidden for you, why is it an issue? If you want to keep expanding the hidden icons, just disable the feature and be done with it. It drives me insane to work on desktops without 'hide icons' checked for the tray/taskbar.

25. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I don't like them all expanded, some of them I'd never ever use but they have to be there, like some of my drivers stuff

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.