AVAST updating faster than NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by divedog, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I have been trying NOD for 2 days now as a resident anti virus. I have noticed in that time that AVAST which I am running for a on demand scanner has sent daily updates while the only update I have received from NOD was immediately after installing and nothing since. How is it that NOD can stay on top of ITW viruses with such sparse updating? I am looking for a good anti virus with a small footprint and NOD from the advertising seemed to fit the bill. I have tried Norton, McAfee, and Panda, too large. I was currently running AVAST which seemed to work good until last week one RAT slid by it and was picked off by TDS 3 thanx guys. What to do?

2. bugl

bugl Guest

Do you think that AVs with more updates per day are better? I think, that more important is setting of AV product - how often trying to download new update from Internet.

Default in NOD32: every 1 hour
    Default in avast!: every 3 - 6 hour

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yeah..well, we are getting a bit "long in the tooth" here. No updates since June 4 and it is June 8 now. Me thinks Eset has the beta release preoccuping it at the moment. Hard to argue with that! Plus, I'm sure if there was any major new threat we'd have updates....sooo....lets hope the beta is posted this week!

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This was a big guess...
    Default avast!: every time after you connect to internet and after this event every 4 hours. This also doesn't apply to Pro version which uses PUSH update system (its initiated from Alwil servers and doesn't depend on clients interval checking). So if update is released you get it immediatelly.

If updates are issued more often its somehow logical that you are better protected. Heuristic on/off doesn't make a big difference since its very limited in detection of current (popular) malware.

5. sig

sig Registered Member

6. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Yeah, sig provided the link to the update history list. Normally, NOD32 seems to update on a near daily basis. It is odd, though, that it has been a few days since the last update.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Its possible that there were no serious threats,thus no need for updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.