Avast streaming updates.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Red Moon, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

If I switch it won't be to comodo. This connection problem to avasts servers needs sorting out, the product relies heavily on the cloud, if the clouds not there whats left.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

You have sandboxing and ordinary signature updates.I went back to a CIS image as i thought my connection was faulty.:ninja:

3. ZeroDay

But VLK already stated above that without the cloud the user looses a significant amount of protection. I've only been testing avast for around a month or so anyway it's not my regular av.

4. The Red Moon

Must be a problem on their end then.I might go back to an avast image and try again as its a good light AV.

5. ZeroDay

I do like the av don't get me wrong, I love the new evo-gen and so on I just wish I wouldn't keep loosing connection to the cloud.

6. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure autosandbox relies heavily on "Reputation Services" If I'm not mistaken the majority of autosandboxed cases are off of "Low previlence/low reputation" of files...

So without cloud, autosandbox is all but useless.

7. ZeroDay

Thanks for the info.

8. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I personally believe there are some enhancements/improvements going on in the background which causes unstable cloud connection at this moment. As been already said on their blog, they have some neat stuff to introduce. I hope it's it :) (soon).

9. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Dyna Gen is the next backend technology which is coming soon :D

10. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Within the perspective of the knowledgable user running a layered solution, this isn't as damnable an issue as it would appear to be. I run Avast with three other endpoints, two of which are cloud empowered, as well as one of those DNS choices and some protection specific browser extensions. Judging from the sigs here, a mainstream strategy.

As an Avast Free user I feel I'm justified only in pointing out this critical failure as a major annoyance and without much further complaint. If I paid for AV or IS, that would be quite different. For me, it's late Monday morning and I haven't had connectivity since early Saturday. The VPS update is 10 hours old.

Avast's "Connection not established" mode is indicated by tiny text under the Maintenance tab and the lack of animation in a graphic under Security. But a tray icon hover reports "Your system is secured" and the UI shows the green happy face and "Everything is up-to-date."

One can only wonder how many of the users of the "184+ million PCs protected by Avast" as a singular endpoint solution are actually aware this loss of vital and significant (per Vlk) protection can exist at all and when it might be happening to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
  11. ZeroDay

Does anyone know if this has been brought up over at the avast forums? And what are avast saying about this constant connectivity problem?

12. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

-http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2213780&postcount=8

13. ZeroDay

Thanks I missed that post :)

14. The Red Moon

Sorry to be slightly off topic but does the free avast have a sandbox of some sort.?
    Thanks.

15. ZeroDay

It has auto sandbox yes.

16. The Red Moon

Thanks.
    My streaming updates are ok now.Perhaps as another poster mentioned there could be something major going on at the avast lab.

17. ZeroDay

Yes mine are working again now too.

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I agree :thumb:

19. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Yes sorry a bit of upgrading on our side. Shouldn't have taken so long though...

20. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

No need to be apologize, especially to us Free users IMHO. And thanks for posting up.

Good luck in a speedy completion of the upgrading. There are still some issues, tho, as even with consistent connectivity throughout today, the last streaming update for me was five hours ago.

An Avast person should really post up something in the fourm as there are now three separate threads regarding this situation and most are ripe with misinformation.

Someone there suggested you might keep your users/customers informed via Twitter.

What say you?

21. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Yes it would be good if they can start a topic on the forum called "cloud status" so that any upgrade they want to do they can post on that topic saying "we'll be upgrading servers today so you will have some connection problems etc..."

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Being free should never be an excuse. You may say i'm an ungrateful bastard, but the paid for users feed off the same servers and while free users won't mind, paid ones most certainly will, because they paid for something that doesn't work as it should for extended period of time.

23. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I don't see EULA guarantees 100% availability for avast servers...:D
    Maybe it is 99.999% ?
    Are there gonna be penalties for avast? :ninja:

24. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Guys,normally the server that goes offline is always streaming update and the reputation service till where I have seen..Avast isnt heavily cloud based at all and in fact the streaming updates was only made keeping in mind that people must be protected even when they are offline unlike the other products where the signature is in the cloud and the malware will be missed if you are offline ;)

25. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Well, that would be in direct conflict with Avast's own marketing of their Cloud Intelligence technology as well as "absolutely vital" per vlk in this thread's post #6.

And when you're offline, zero day threats aren't all that much of a threat anymore unless you stuff in files from removable media or network shares from unprotected systems.

Anyhow, the real issue here is Avast's tech was down for days, twice, and they couldn't be bothered to post up anything anywhere. I've otherwise grown weary of this thread and won't bother with it any further.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.