Avast Shields Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by firzen771, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

what exactly does the IM Shield and P2P shield do, since wuldnt the Standard Shield accomplish the same task in the end since the standard shield scans all files right?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

sounds it specifically supports and protects those apps
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-free-home-antivirus-antispyware.html#7
    "..
    Avast features a module for the protection of IM (Instant Messaging, "chat") programs, and a module for the protection of P2P (peer-to-peer) programs. The list of supported IM and P2P programs is extensive with more than 30 programs currently supported.
    .."

3. firzen771

ye that says that it will scan files from those specific programs, but in the end doesnt the standard guard do the exact same since the file is being downloaded to the same place, ur hard drive?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

with all other security progs you got running i don't think you need to be concerned either way

5. firzen771

i guess but im really wondering if these extra shields are even worth running or if its just wasted resources, anybody got more info on this?

6. bollity

bollity Registered Member

this feature is useless.
    they added it just to cheat beginners and say: avast is full of features.
    but more experienced users know that avast need to completely redesigned.
    and this is what is going to be in version 5. you will see a different avast.
    but what interest me is will be there a better engine and better detection rates ?

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Even if you argue avast uses old technology, it's still been continually delivering the goods, even more than other programs which are considered more advanced.

By default, the standard and network shield aren't scanning every file.

I just did a search on their forum, and the following comments appear:

Regarding utorrent, the p2p shield for this is disabled by default:

There's a lot of info on it at avast's forum. I think if you use the programs supported in the list, and hopefully I'm assuming right, you're getting similar protection to web shield, scanning of files during downloads, rather than after the file is downloaded.

8. Saraceno

The standard shield set to normal doesn't scan all files, but only the ones in the extension list.

avast.jpg

Set the shield to high, and all files is now enabled. Or alternatively, go to 'customize' and select 'all files'.

avast2.jpg

If you're using sandboxie or DefenseWall, I'd just go with Network and Standard. You could go with these two, even without sandboxie or DW, but I'd add Web Shield and Standard shield to scan all files.

I'd enable IM shield if you're using msn messenger (and it's not sandboxed). But to save resources, you could just enable the shield before using the IM program. avast makes it pretty easy to terminate/start services.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  9. firzen771

why are some of ur components grayed out?

10. Saraceno

Terminated them (and selected yes to persist the change after reboot).

Avast uses about 15MB ram with just the standard and network shield on. Web shield adds another 40MB when many tabs open, but with DefenseWall, switched web shield off.

If you're wanting minimal resources, I'd select just standard, network and web. If your browser is covered, just leave standard and network. :)

For those unsure, see below:

avast1.jpg

avast 2.jpg

11. firzen771

how do u do that?

EDIT:

nvm figured it out...

12. Saraceno

Make sure you're viewing 'more details'. Then terminate services not required.

avast 3.jpg

avast 4.jpg

13. Saraceno

Starting these back up takes about 3 seconds for each service. For example, if I'm browing unsandboxed or in my instance, with the process 'trusted' (DefenseWall), I'll switch the web shield back on.

I think the web shield, although using a little more memory, is one of the best features to keep on. Someone like RejZor might explain the difference, but the network shield does seem to be scanning each URL you visit, similar to the web shield. See pictures in post above.

Just visited google, then lifehacker, and noticed all advertising etc is scanned:

google.jpg
    lh.jpg
    lh 2.jpg

14. Saraceno

Here's some discussion about the difference between network and web shield:
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38421.0

And post by RejZoR on second page:

So overall, it's best to run, Standard, Network, and Web Shield. I'll switch Web Shield back on, although using slightly more memory, most people want to know when a site is malicious.

15. firzen771

im running Network Shield + Script Blocking + Standard Shield + Web Shield. but i turn web shield off usually because i dont like the browsing slow downs. all the other shields, ive chosen to uninstall.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! Web Shield never really slowed down browsing for me or anyone who i know. But there might be problems on already crippled systems where its just a matter of time when they fail in one or another way.
    In fact avast!'s Web Shield is from my experience the fastest HTTP scanner from the day it was introduced. It just works great. Unlike solutions found in NOD32, Kaspersky and BitDefender that were contantly failing and slowing down the browsing.

17. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

In the home version, all the shields but standard shield are set to scan all arhive types by default. In the standard shield, only 4 of the 27 archive types in the list are selected (like droppers, self extractors...) (you can see these settings in the pro version). If you select the all 27 archive types for standard shield, then your pc may slow down significantly. So with im shield, p2p shield, web shield, some important open doors are controlled with maximum security without slowing down your pc. And btw, p2p and im shields work with standard shield; so they are also depended on standard shield settings. You can see my post about p2p shield on avast! forum here:
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42331.msg354891#msg354891

Web shield and network shield work as standalone. Since i don't use email shields of avast i don't have much info about them.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I agree ,ive never had any slowdowns with the webshield.I even use admuncher with the webshield and there is no significant slowdown.I guess it may depend on the broadband or dial up that folks use.
    ellison

19. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Would the network shield ("Basically, it covers all Internet worms. Such as Win32.CodeRed, Win32.SQLSlammer, Win32.Blaster, in32.Welchia (Nachi) and Win32.Sasser.") overlap in function with a firewall?

20. firzen771

no. its basically an IDS just like what NIS and many other suites have has. u can still run a FW with it

21. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.