Avast Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by murphy2010, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I love Avast!, An antivirus is really spectacular, its lightness is magic, when I used the Free version of it (File/Behavior) I felt I had no antivirus so light. I find it ideal for laptops.

Never had the opportunity to test your Internet Security version, but I believe it is very good too! :thumb:

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Warning re: previous posts.
    Unbridled Enthusiasm Alert!
    Unbridled Enthusiasm Alert!

Careful guys, too much praise and someone will close the thread!
    @trjam What do you mean you're sticking with avast! There goes the neighbourhood! :D

Currently have, or are supervising, machunes running:
    Avast! Internet Security & Free
    AVG Pro 2009
    CA AV 2009
    Clamwin
    MSE
    Norton AV 2010
    PANDA Cloud Free
    PC Tools Antivirus Free 7 & 8
    Rising 2010

avast! is my AV of first resort.
    Runs well on old hardware. Rarely a compatibility problem (and so far, never one that hasn't been fixed.)
    One of few AVs, paid for or free, to scan IMAP email, even SSL if you want it to.

3. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Is there a 64 Bit version of avast? I downloaded avast and it said its compatible for both 32/64 but in task manager it said its runing with 32 Bit??
    Thx

4. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

5. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

You may find his one even more interesting.
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65142.0

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Program interface is 32bit, kernel drivers are 64bit and it's capable of processing 32bit and 64bit code.

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I like avast and it runs well with CIS v5.

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I am a AVAST converter from AVG
    robin

9. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Without sounding repetitive...Avast 5...is quite simply...Superb ! I was using Sunbelt's Vipre...G-Data...and Trend Titanium...Anti-Virus...Anti-Malware product the last two months...and after trial periods and subsequent testing...I came too the realization that Avast was at least as effective and in many ways...superior to the paid products. I know it's a small thing but I like the way it gives you flexible options in setting Scan times...and of course it updates itself at least twice daily...and it's freeware...that's all folks ! Sincerely...Securon

10. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Just like Windows 7, it's so stable and smooth, it tends to get boring. ;)
    On a serious note - avast!, NOD32 and Norton 2011 are the only AVs I find to match my stringent performance criteria. But, avast! eats both in terms of configurability(totally custom install) and the killer boot time scan.

11. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

avast is really fast. After the persistent cache is built its a breeze.
    I'm only using the File System and Network Shield with scanning all files on write and its still fast. Best ever. :cool:

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I find all these shields somewhat confusing. Shouldn't the file shield detect everything? Like why is a separate P2P shield needed?

Why have both Network and Web shields, as they sound similar? And again, wouldn't the basic file shield detect these threats when the file is saved to the hard drive or executed?

I wonder if this is more of a marketing thing, or if these are all really needed.

13. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Well i use the File Shield with scanning all files on writing. Its OK for me and the CPU is more than happy. Still very good protection. Network Shield is like a link scanner, its useful and doesn't consume CPU. I dont need the web, im and email scanner. All written to the HD is scanned anyway...

But why can u check all options at same time here?
    http://www.abload.de/img/20h23m38swlj4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2010
  14. i_g

i_g Registered Member

P2P / IM shields are kinda optimization of the scanning. While File System Shield scans only files of specific format and doesn't unpack archives like ZIP (well, you can enable it, but it's not a good idea - simple copying archives on your disk might bring your system to its knees if the scanner unpacks and scans everything), P2P and IM shields only scan files downloaded through specific applications - so it's possible to scan deeper with more archive unpacking (for those few files).

Sound similar, but not the same.
    Web Shield is scanning browser / HTTP traffic only, while Network Shield generally scans all network traffic for some exploits.

You assume that all threats have to be saved to hard disk first - which is wrong. An exploit may execute just in memory, without/before being saved to disk

Layered protection is a good thing - you never know which one happens to save your... system.

15. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

At least the web shield can prevent drive-by attacks.. I mean even when u try eicar test files.. it'll detect before you even have it saved on your harddisk..

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

good post, thank you.:thumb:

17. ExtremeGamerBR

Norton 2011 with Smart Definitions is really fast on boot, but it sure Avast! Free is faster because it offers a less extensive protection.

But I think between the suites (NIS 2011 and AIS 5) does not make much difference to boot. :thumb:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clocks,

As the I_g said the protections are not just marketing hype, each has a role (Some less important than others).

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I wont mention the other product you named to keep from this being a comparsion, because it isnt. Right now nothing can touch Avast. The other suites have failed.

19. ExtremeGamerBR

Go wrong even when comparing other products. :thumbd:

20. PnP

PnP Registered Member

I think that avast + prevx its the best solution :)

21. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I agree with what written above regarding lightness and responsiveness of Avast Suite.

But, having said that, don't the detection rates concern you to use the suite as exclusive security product?

22. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

they do, and avast is is more than competent in detection as well

23. DIgiDis

DIgiDis Registered Member

Anyone else like the sandbox technology? That's what sold me on AIS. This is the first time I am using a suite and have to say it is much easier to deal with than separate FWs, AV and Sandbox.

24. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i find the sandbox to be quite nice, ive been using its for the past few days with all my browsers and i dont notice any aplication startup lag or any other problems as of yet

25. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I thought that avast's trojan detection is poor. Isn't this right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.