Avast Rootkit Notification

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TomAZ, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

All of a sudden today, I got a possible Rootkit Notification from Avast AV Free - Win32-gen[Susp] - for the file, "gmer.sys." With all of the security stuff I use, I'm a little suspicious about the notification.

However, I have run a full Avast boot-time scan, a Hitman Pro scan, a full MBAM Pro scan and nothing shows up. I even sent the file (gmer.sys) up to Virus Total and it comes back clean. So I'm thinking that it may be a False-Positive.

What puzzles me, however, is why it just started showing up now? I suppose Avast could have released something in their most recent definition update that caused the notification, but I am wondering...

1) Has anyone else experienced this today with Avast?
    2) If I receive another notification, how do I supress it from showing up again?

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I have had a rootkit notification from avast as well, in the past. I also did a full scan but it didn't find anything later.

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I'm almost positive it's not a rootkit. So, how do I best get rid of the recurring notification?

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Try add it to the exclusions list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.