Avast Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ajcstr, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Will Avast Home update itself without user intervention? Also, can scans be scheduled? If the answer to either of these questions is no are there any free products that do both? This will be installed on a teen's computer so I would like these tasks to just happen rather than rely on her to initiate.

2. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

avast will update itself, but you cannot run a scheduled scan to my knowledge. There is a member named Rejzor who is the resident avast guru and he may know a way to schedule a scan with the avast home version. Check back he will be along soon, I am sure.
    IMHO, avast is a very good choice for your needs.

3. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

If you use Avast's default configuration, then it should intercept most bugs. Running a scheduled scan will probably not reveal anything new. As for the kid, you should teach her about safe surfing and general PC maintenance. If she doesn't take care of her PC, then she risks loosing all data. It's part of growing up.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes,the update module is fully automatic. However scheduled scans are only available in avast! Professional. In Home Edition you need to use Windows Task Scheduler and ashQuick.exe (avast! quick scan module).

If you're interested,i can provide you with full info on how to schedule such scan.

5. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I am ;)

6. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Me too RejZor!

7. smbruce

smbruce Registered Member

... and me please!!!

Steve

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm still overclocking my machine. I'll be back very soon ;) And then i'll write the guide :)

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! Home Edition Scheduling

First,open Task Scheduler from Control Panel.
    Right click on empty space and select New Task.

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/2189/aswschedule11zu.png

Now just append the path which you want to scan at the end of text in Run: field. Make sure there is one space between ashQuick.exe file path and path that you want to scan!

For example:

RUN: "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe"

You may also scan entire folders:
    RUN: "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\"

I'm not 100% if it will work with Task Scheduler,but such commandline worked in my AEC tweak tool for avast!. Also tell me if it won't work,i'll re-think the stuff. Also you cannot turn of archive scanning for ashQuick and you cannot pre-define actions for virus found event (you'll get popup with options).
    For full control over scheduling i recommend Professional Edition since it gives you more freedom.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  10. minacross

minacross Registered Member

thanx pal :)

11. smbruce

smbruce Registered Member

Thanks RejZoR.

Merry Christmas.

Steve

12. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Thank You !!!!

13. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

OH, one more question, can Avast! Home be installed on more than one PC? If so, Do I use the same license key?

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ofcourse,as long as its for personal use only.
    If you have 4 machines at home,you can use same Home Edition key for all 4 machines. Just don't share the same key with your friends and so. They should register their own key. It's FREE anyway and takes just few seconds to obtain the Home Edition license key.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.