Avast program didn't update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Casper0x, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casper0x

Casper0x Registered Member

Hi,

Just wanted to know if Avast should have updated the program alone as I know that version 5 has been released for quite a long time now but mine still remained v4.8

I've got my own registration key but program didn't update o_O

Should I update program manually by downloading the setup from Alwil site and installing it to overwrite the existing version ?

Thanks in advance

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

they are not forcing upgrade. they will do so at the end of this year. You have to upgrade manually at this time....:)

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you really imo should think about doing a uninstall of v4 then install v5 a lot of people had issues installing over top of v4. just a thought

4. Casper0x

Casper0x Registered Member

Thanks for your fast responses

I'll do as you said and uninstall avast 4 before installing the new version :)

You got an awesome forum here, as you may have noticed this was my first post. I learnt some new stuff by browsing some topics, I'm sure that I'll stay here for a long time :D

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks that you like this forum.
    In my case I installed it over v4 and it did uninstall v4 first, rebooted and then install v5.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  6. zfactor

it usually is okay doing that but in some cases there have been issues

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Even though avast techs will tell you that v5 is designed to go over top of v4.8 (it removes v4.8 for you), there are many users who advocate removing v4.8 first, and I agree that is a terrific idea, but I still chose to go over top (on three computers) and it worked very good... surprisingly good, in fact... on all three. :)

There are uninstall utilities to use for both v4.8 and v5. The v4.8 tool is aswClear.exe, and it can be downloaded here.

I would keep that tool handy in case needed.

If you have imaging software, of course you will want to create a backup prior to embarking on this avast adventure.

I recommend running CCleaner or other registry cleaners after the upgrade to make sure the old stuff is gone.

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Just a added caution. Don't use registry cleaner if you don't know much about registry cleaning. Better use revo uninstaller for uninstallation.

9. zfactor

use the avast uninstaller if you are unsure it works pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.