Avast Po vs IS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Evidently from the Avast site the only difference between the Pro and the Internet Security is the firewall, and anti spam.

Except for the W7 lack of outbound protection (I understand you can configure the W7 firewall to check outbound) I am not sure that the IS is really more secure than the Pro using the W7 firewall, and MBAM. The $9.99 sale for the Pro makes it a better deal it seems.

Comments?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Jerry.

If its on sale at $9.99 which is very low, and you are a constant Avast! user then go for it. If you don't use Avast! all the time then you can just use windows firewall as there is not much of a difference. I only say go for pro if you support the company and use the product long term such as myself with AVG products. :thumb:

3. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Which $9.99 offer is that Jerry ?

Can you provide a link please

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

5. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I really don't have much to add other than I also am always questioning the usefulness of the firewall feature of internet security suites. I never know if they are doing anything. :blink: In all the time I have tried different firewalls so that I could "control outbound connections", I may have tinkered with that just a few times. Maybe that means I am fine with the built in firewall.

If you notice that when you have AIS installed, the Windows 7 firewall stays on. The Avast! experts say this is done on purpose and that the Avast! firewall is meant to work with the built in Windows firewall. I trust Avast! as a company (something that I cannot say for all AV companies), so I assume their firewall really does add an extra layer of protection.

Hmmm, at that low price, I would probably go with Pro. If you really want some extra firewall functionality, you could get a free one. I like PrivateFirewall but it slows my browsing just a tiny, tiny bit.

On a related note, I am having a problem with Avast! at the moment, the sandbox function and not the firewall. My computer now crashes everytime I close one of my browsers that has been running in the sandbox. It is very frustrating. I picked up a super-duper cheap license for Eset Smart Security to tide me over this past weekend. Aside from the crashing sandbox, my computer rocked when running AIS. It equally rocks, and may run better, on ESS.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, guys. Hamlet, can you prevent the sandbox operation? I am trying the IS, but have not run into anything so far. I am not sure the sandbox is being used.

I think I will opt for the Pro version using the W7 firewall and MBAM in real time.
    Jerry

7. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Oh yes, running a browser sandboxed in Avast! is totally optional. So, I could very well ignore that if I wanted. It mostly is one of those issues that makes me wonder what else might not be working right with AIS on my computer. Actually, there are a few other issues going on with it for me. Specifically, my IE is pretty non-functional with the WebRep plug-in enabled. My laptop also just runs slow with the latest two versions of AIS. So, I am just waiting it out and assuming they will eventually put out a version that works for me. It is sort of a shame because the version about three iterations ago was totally awesome on my machines.

You know, another reason why I generally end up just using the built in Windows firewall is that I am always worried that I am going to screw up the settings in a more advanced firewall. That stuff seems very complicated to me and I am always worried that I am opening some massive breach in the firewall when I start fiddling with trying to control the rules for a specific piece of software. I figure the Windows firewall does ok on its own and I won't be messing with it so there is little chance of me breaking the thing.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.