Avast or AVG AV plus AVG AS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

AVC tests showed a good detection rate for AVG Anti-Malware. IBK indicated that the AV free would not reach the same level because the AVG Anti-Malware includes the AS module.

Would the combination of AVG free and stand alone AVG AS be as effective as the Anti-malware version?

I would also assume that, as Firefighter's test showed a couple of years ago, Avast could profit from AVG AS, and the detection rate would also increase. Or is there some difference between the stand alone applications vs the combination in detection?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I would think that the combination of Avast & AVG Antispyware would beat AVG Anti-malware in on-demand detection.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am wondering whether AVG Free + AVG AS is equal to AVG Anti-Malware?

I see no reason that the two stand alone applications would not be equal to them being combined in the AVG AM, but I am not very knowledgeable about these things.

Thanks for the reply, and I also think Avast plus AVG AS would be slightly higher in detection than AVG AM.

Best,
    Jerry

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I believe that AVG AS is more aggressive (more prone to FPs) than the AS module in AVG AM. Also, the signatures in AVG AM are better used due to the better unpacking/emulation engine.
    So, AVG Free plus AVG AS should have detection rates close to AVG AM.

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I haven't got any facts, but I would have thought the above statement would be true in my opinion.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Me too!

7. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Same here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.