Avast looks like it was made for a 5 year old?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jo3blac1, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why do ppl only see those few front panel tiles (i'm not even sure why they call em tiles, they are just normal big buttons that have nothing to do with tiles) and COMPLETELY ignore all the other GUI elements that don't resemble Metro in any way. Based on this, make whatever interface you want and stick a single colored square to it and ppl will be screaming METRO all over it. WTF...
    You guys make no sense...

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The only problem I have with the new interface is the white background. I would rather have black. Also, on my computer, "Free Antivirus" looks like it could use anti-aliasing. It's an old computer so maybe it's just my graphics card.

3. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

MSE is what you describe. Except the 'effective' bit.

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Exactly why I'm using G-Data 2013. I like the minimal design.

5. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

How often does anyone look at the gui of their AV anyway? Set it up and forget about it. I don't mind the rotating ball or the voice that tells me it is updated. Least then I know it is working. I could turn them off if they bothered me, but I'm like a monkey....I like shiny things.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why ppl think programs would use less memory if they had simplier GUI? avast! is right now using 5,6MB on my system. That is GUI and the core process. I don't think anyone would expect any lower consumption than this as it can't be a problem even on a system with abnormally low amount of memory (especially for the year we are in).

7. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

And why would I care about memory consumption? I have 6GBs of RAM and so far Im only utilizing 1.2GB.

And yes I am aware of the options to disable animation, disable the sounds but it doesn't mean it's not annoying. I still have to have the ugly avast ball in the tray. Yes there is an option to hide that as well but I want access to my AV in the tray. I still have to deal with the annoying city icon connecting to the cloud and every time I install I have to repeat at least 3 times that I want to use the free version.

All I am saying that AVAST should make their UI more like *****(blocked due to rules) - any other AV. Simple, clean, no weird spinning balls or downtown of a city connecting to a cloud. Just a plain simple UI.

Maybe I don't know much about UI. Maybe I should go to school to learn what is a good UI.... No, seriously.... This is simply personal preference. I mean would you go to a job interview in a mickey mouse jacket or a professional black suite and pants. Again personal preference. To me Avast just looks like a mickey mouse jacket while other AVs (not gonna mention here due to rules), look much more professional.

Don't get me wrong, avast seems to be one of the better AVs. I always install it on my friends or family computers. I make their icon disappear, silence their updates and everything else. But for me, I simply can't stand the UI and I refuse to use it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

You could always poke a whole in the speakers or simply just move out to far as to a excuse You cant call no more because the toll charges are high..:D or your Skype broke.Never bothered me any other then occasionally would scare me when a virus was detected.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  9. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

This makes the most sense. Leave Avast! alone they do know what they are doing.

Ice

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Not sure what's with all the hate. The new avast! looks fine, I like it better than version 7.

11. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I never said I hated it, I simply pointed out it looks a bit metro ish.

12. spywar

spywar Registered Member

You will always find people who don't like ... Who cares ? ~190 M users are using it and only a bunch of them come to the public forums to give their own opinion ... Avast! knows what they are doing.

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The home screen is full on metro in design which seeing as it has windows 8 in mind seems a logical move.You can change to the shields page although why the interface is a primary issue here is a mystery as you simply make your settings and then your done,or do users simply stare at the interface like lovelorn teenagers.?:cautious:

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Well i did prefer the blue spinning ball.......but i suppose it got tangoed

16. spywar

spywar Registered Member

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes sure, it contains several skins, but my point was that one of these is more suitable for a kid than the other :p

18. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

The new Avast 8 GUI is awesome.

People complaining about this aspect simply have bad tastes IMO.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What difference does the GUI make anyway? What matters is that the program does it's job. It's good if the GUI looks nice, but I don't think anyone sits around and stares at it all day... LOL. :)

20. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I like the new look - I never liked the previous interface, and unlike a lot people I guess, I much prefered the interface from v4 of Avast to the v5+ interface.

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I liked the new v5 interface over the 4.x one, but I think this one is better, yes it is a little more metro-like than v7, especially the home screen, but it's not too much, and the rest of the interface is better.(The cloud icon with telephone cables is debatable but I think it's better than the fake carbon-fiber look of v7 ;))
    Too much fuss about a GUI here IMO, it's what under the hood that counts.

22. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

The new interface looks nothing like metro, I must be blind as a bat if it does.

Plus, the UI is much more cleaner than previous versions

Personally, I think avast took the right direction with everything in this version.

But, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, the above happens to be mine.

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I think the new GUI is fine. Maybe not my favorite, but pretty solid.

24. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

The new GUI is much better. And yeah don't get me started on that Puppy AV... seriously. Maybe I am just growing old and I want simple boxes with no fancy graphics.... Maybe the fact that I was born and raised on Windows 2000 and then XP has to do something with my tastes.

25. Carver

Carver Registered Member

The one thing that me trouble with Avast 7 was the mail shield, no matter what I did I couldn't get it to scan the emails and in Avast 8 the mail shield works perfectly :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.