avast is flipping out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Page42, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

As mentioned on the avast forum, we all make mistakes in our own jobs from time to time - whatever that job may be - and whoever it is that relies upon us.

Same applies to Kaspersky, prevx, Eset or any of them.

2. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

What are you talking about ? I had no issues what so ever in XP SP 3 and Windows 7 64 bit with 4.8 o_O .
    If they did some upgrade to the engine to increase the detection there is no problem ,i use a free version.BitDefender had a similar issue some time ago and it was fixed.
    Arent you too dramatic ?

3. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

reading threads like these it always strikes me that one mistake is huge & brought to everyone's attention but I'm sure all the real threats that are caught are never mentioned as thats what news news worthy today in other words bad news, everyone has a bad day...

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Wow there are others? It's Google time. They are actually fun to read. I think he is angry (the blogger) at the industry. I like the post titled "Andreas&Andreas Vs. the Devil"

5. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

This thread is quite funny ,maybe in the future you should keep Avast updates on manual procedure ,like i do :D

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

How will the manaul update help? Let say you ran the manual update this monring and 1hr before you manually updated, bad sigs were accidentally released. The only way I can see manaully updating preventing this issue is if you monitor when the def are release, wait serveral hours after their release, then check the interwebs for problems.

7. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I had no issues whatsoever with Avast on 2 PC-s ,one with W7 and one with XP so let me conclude that having automatic updates off might be much better ,at least untill they release Avast 5.
    I usually relly on the firewall HIPS or/and on the sanbox much more than on the antivirus.I might update Avast even at 2 days gaps,there is no hurry for me.I dont use cracks ,i only visit safe websites in a sandboxed browser ,IM sandboxed ,autorun turned off ,so what could infect me if ?!

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although I am not using it now, Avast is one of my favorites. I admit that this fiasco shakes my confidence.

I realize that everyone, and every company makes mistakes. However, all mistakes are not equal, and depending upon the severity of the results one error may very well cause enough lack of confidence to go to another application.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Not very wise to be recommending people to disable automatic updates with their AVs..., from personal experiences for a number of years .. I don’t recall Avast! having an history of this sort of ordeal.

... Anyways even if there was another slip, I doubt people will be so quick to delete or move to chest detected files, especially detected files found in :\WINDOWS\*

Regards,
    Phant0m``

10. Phant0m

If it weren’t apparent before, it’s should be apparent now, they all have shared a very, very bad experience, and with some .. two or more. ;)

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

The fequencey of updates shouldn't matter, like I said if a bad update got pushed right before you manaully updated you still be in trouble. You just got lucky, just teasing. :D Anyhow, I'm glad nothing happened to your PC.

12. Phant0m

Manually updating (especially with 2days gap) isn’t an guarantee, one of the later db updates could very well be the one with that severe fp.

... so I agree with NAMOR.

13. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Depending on how you surf, delaying updates could do more damage then just letting the program Auto update.

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Understandable. Flawed, however. There is quite a list of security program problems that have caused major Windows problems for many users. Norton have done it, so have AVG, and I think quite a few more.

If there was any history of this sort of thing from Avast, the loss of confidence would be more reasonable. As it is, it appears to have been a "one-off", and the indications are the company is working on more robust protocols to ensure no repeat.
    If anything, I have even more confidence in Avast now than before.

The problem with moving to another application is that something similar might happen with that one, too. Unless that one has also had something damaging happen, and put protocols in place. Which would make the reasoning involved on changing to it specious.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm hoping people have moved past this thing. To come in here ranting and hollering about loss of confidence over a single instance of a bad update that lasted a pathetic 5 hours, and even wanting someone fired over it, sad, just pathetically sad. It happens, humans screw up, programs screw up. To those wanting whoever took heat for this fired, yeah, you'll put on the "accountability" act until it's your ass on the line and your family that may go without food or worse.

I didn't even see this thing in the news until late today, so I doubt it was as huge an issue as it's being made out to be. In other words, get over it. Your new AV you replaced Avast with because you got mad will eventually cause a problem to. / end rant. Lol.

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

It depends on what was lost during the issue. If I purchased an AV to protect my small business server and an issue similar to this resulted is loss of revenue, then I wouldn't be too happy.

This actully happened to a hotel that the company I work for supports and their server was down for serveral hours during spring break last year. The AV that they used got bad defs and their local IT guy set up the AV all wrong, the real-time scanner started deleting a lot of .exes, .dlls, open check files, and credit card files that our software uses.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Stop and think how long five hours can be if you have critical data at risk, you aren't exactly sure what is happening, you are trying to get some work done... maybe you work from home and you have some business contracts to draft or emails to compose... maybe you are trying to trade securities with an online account and thousands of dollars are in play on a stock, or you are trying to make airline reservations or really any of a hundred different tasks... and your AV is throwing very serious infection alerts at you non-stop, and in some cases wreaking havoc with your system.

I have great sympathy for individuals who were whacked by this mistake, and I will be the last person to tell them to "get over it". If someone's confidence has been shaken, and they aren't too keen on avast! as a result, even though I do not share that belief or that fear, I still understand 100% where their fear is coming from.

18. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Agreed. To Avast's credit, this is not a normal occurrence. As a matter of fact, I don't ever remember them doing something like this. It's unfortunate and definitely a knock but I will keep using their product.

Ice

19. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I'm not going to tell people to get over it. But I will say one thing Eset among others have had this issue before, Eset has had it at least 3 times over the past year and half. I know because I had to do damage control for it for the company's I work for. It does happen it's not fun and it makes you step back and think. Most the company's that I have dealt with have moved on to other products, but some have stayed. Mainly because of the outstanding service they felt they have got from the company over the years.

In the end that's what matters have you got more from avast to out weigh the bad. If you have stayed so far you know your answer already. :)

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If somebody drops a bomb on a building, the safest place in the country after the bomb blows the building up is to stand in that place. Avast is now like that building. You can bet Avast will be the safest AV to use for a long time. ;)

21. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Was it a Nuke ? if so not to safe to stand there for about 50 or so years. :D

22. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Great analogy and good point.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

A suicide bomber :D

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So, almost all AV's had such incident at some point. So, ppl shouldn't use any of them just because of that? One out of 50.000 airbags don't trigger when they should. Yet we don't stop using them.

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Yes but a AV cant kill you if it deploys wrong. Unlike a Airbag =P all in all we don't have a choice with a airbag they are stranded and if you shut them off you void your warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.