avast is flipping out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Page42, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

To completely disable avast just disable the startup key in msconfig AND the services in services.msc, you don't need to change anything within avast itself.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Pretty sure you're gonna have to disable avast self-defense module first.

3. Fuzzydice45

Oh yeah thats the old version... disable the self defence thingy and then the services.
    ;)

4. progress

progress Guest

The prestige of Avast seems to be damaged :rolleyes:

5. julieinwv

julieinwv Registered Member

Hi. I'm new and found this forum when my Avast went nuts. I have since turned it off and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. However, before I could turn it off I put 32 things in my Virus Chest, and now I cannot get them to restore. Has anyone else had that problem? If so, what can I do *pulling my hair out*

6. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Update 091203-1 has installed. Just about to re-activate file/standard shields and see what happens.

Edit: ½ hour later - so far, so good!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok, lots of stuff everywhere, but has anyone actually cared to contact ALWIL team instead recommend everyone to get rid of avast! right away and disable it in all sorts of stupid ways?

8. julieinwv

I've got the latest update now - 091203-1 and have turned everything back on. It's not alerting on anything. However, the 32 things I put in my Virus Chest still will not Restore. Any ideas?

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

julieinwv, try scanning each item in the infected area of the chest. Right click each file, select "scan" if it scans clean, then try to restore them, one at a time.
    Little bit of guesswork, here, but it's got a good chance of working.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I have the latest update also, had noticed some files being alerted on earlier (for example, during the memory test) and now all seems to be normal.
    Interested to know what went wrong, but don't need to know.
    They all have their hiccups from time to time.

11. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Haven't deliberately ignored you :D it's just that I seem to have been lucky.
    On XP I've not had 4.8 put anything in the 'Chest' or had any trouble getting the 3 items that 5.0 put in there on only one PC, back where they belong using 'Restore'.

Someone who can help (edit: like speedy 'Tarq57') may need to know:
    What is your Windows version?
    Which avast! are we talking? (4.8 or 5.0-Beta)

12. julieinwv

Good idea..... however, I tried it and once I scan them it changes to 'no virus' but it still won't restore.

13. julieinwv

I'm using XP. 4.8 Home Edition. Thank you :)

14. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

My sister had called about an alert tonight and it seems to match the other reports. From what she said, she had ignored the warning which makes me happy. My mother's rig also has avast but she didn't mention anything weird.

I'm just thankful that I didn't install avast on a friends machine tonight. She had a brand new machine infected with a rogue and if I had installed avast (instead of MSE) I would have let it clean the files. Sometimes we all get lucky :cool:.

Let's hope they get this sorted quickly. Avast has always been reliable and I put it on all of my families computers.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I didn't read anyone here at Wilders recommend everyone get rid of avast right away, and as for recommending to disable it in all sorts of stupid ways, no one recommended that either. What I do see is lots of users discussing what they are doing to cope with the situation. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to these stupid ways.

PS- I have installed the newest update 091203-1 and so far so good.

16. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Wait .. who cares about False Positives as long as you have great detection :rolleyes: That was the general consensus on this thread wasn't it https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=259306

Small vendors play fast and loose with their detections because their exposure is not that large. If a McAfee or Symantec did something so stupid I am sure their stock would tank and they probably wouldn't recover for at least 6 months.

The most hilarious part is that looks like the Avast developers stole my idea of a 100% detection AV solution https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1582440&postcount=64.

Lolz.. 100% detection with 100% FPs.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Disabling it through msconfig IS stupid. First you disable self-defense for that and also disable it completelly. There is option to pause separate providers and also an option to terminate (disable) separate providers.

18. stackz

stackz Registered Member

I just checked my daughter's pc and avast had put a few files in the virus chest. Selecting restore does seem to restore the files, but there is no visual notification of the restoration and a copy of the file remains in the vault. After checking that the files had in fact restored, I just selected delete to empty the virus chest.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What does that mean? "First you disable self-defense for that and also disable it completelly"? o_O
    When providers have been terminated, do they remain off on reboot?
    --> Edit: I see the answer to my question. All I had to do was read the choices a little more carefully. ;)

20. Fuzzydice45

Of course disabling avast through msconfig and services.msc is only if disabling the shields in the avast UI doesn't work.

21. julieinwv

Thank you. I think that might be what's going on. I'm just reading that very thing on the Avast forum. I'll have to go through and see which ones I restored, etc.. Ahh what a mess. Thanks for letting me know :)

22. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Sorry, should have mentioned. A copy of the file is retained in the chest.
    Restoring those 32 to their original locations should have fixed problems. It is worth double-checking each location to make sure the file has restored before deleting it from the chest.
    Right PITA, I know.
    I've been fortunate myself. Fortunate to have found forums like this one and the Avast forum long enough ago to realize that in the event of detection, the first thing one does is investigate, rather than immediately delete/quarantine.

I don't recall being called "speedy" before.:D
    Not speedy enough, I'm afraid, both in realizing what was happening, and in being able to respond to it.
    Would have been nice to be able to get through to the Avast forum in a more timely fashion, to try and minimize damage. Some poor bu@@ers have had their OS hosed through this one. :'(

23. julieinwv

Thank you all so much for your help! I appreciate it! I will go through each file to be sure it's restored.

24. icr

icr Registered Member

Everything working fine now.
    No more FPs:D

25. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.