Avast Home vs Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

As of now I am planning to install Avast on my new computer that should arrive today. I don't mind buying the Pro version if it offers a definite advantage in security.

In reading the comparison between the Home and Pro versions of Avast the only thing that seems it might be useful to me is the statement.
    "Lets you safely browse suspicious websites or applications" Does the sandbox do this?

I would think that the basic Home would catch attempts at penetration, but I cannot think of what the Pro would do that the Home plus MBAM would not do. Not sure I want a sandbox since I could not get rid of some sandbox folders in KIS. That is another subject, of course.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think Kees here would say that the pro version offers script blocking which is very good. You are a young rich man, get the pro.;)

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Boy! You have a silver tongue. The Pro it is, but I will have to check my bank account.:D

Regards,
    Jerry

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I know, but come on, someone has to pay for it to help Avast. Let it be Jerry.;)

6. whitedragon551

Its their fault that they created such a great free product. If they limited it to less features Im sure some would buy it, but as is you dont need the scripting anyways. Im 99% positive it only works in IE as is.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ur source?

8. whitedragon551

Their website:

http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab2

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

keep in mind, Jer, likes Sandboxes, well, not certain ones, but at least Avast offers one and I have to admit, a sandbox is one of the most powerful tools out there. Personally, if more then one computer I would take the suite offer and just not install the firewall. I meant to tell him that. Avast is good, very, very good.

Seems I did a thread awhile back about did Avast shoot themselves in the foot with the free version and how good a value it is over the paid. But, no one agreed.:p

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=267195&highlight=shoot

10. whitedragon551

Sandboxie and Avast free. Offers the same protection as Avast Pro and its built in Sandbox, but its free. With a Sandbox the scripting doesnt matter anyways.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

that may be true, but Jerry is like me, you should reward these vendors for their hard work, or it will go away. Or we will be back to Norton and McAfee.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, and I am pleased that Avast Home is available, especially for students and those living "close to the vest." But I would prefer, normally, to get it all in one package even if I have to pay a reasonable amount.

I have installed Avast Home on several computers for friends, and have used it at various times when I was not sure what I wanted. Not once was any problem encountered. It also seems to run without fanfare. I suspect I will keep it for an extended period.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

:'( Geez Jerry, you got me now rethinking my Avatar and wallet tonight.;)

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Are you telling us that this is one you haven't helped yet?

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Naw, if the trial runs well on my new computer, I'll buy one.
    Now as to your Avatar---well? I would not be surprised if I saw Clam tomorrow. Don't be picky.:)

Regards,
    Jerry

16. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

The Script Shield is working here with Firefox.

17. whitedragon551

According to Avast thats impossible. It clearly wasnt programmed to work with FF so it definately shouldnt be.

18. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

The only browser i use is Firefox and I see activity with the Script Shield here...it may be gremlins eh??...:eek: :)

19. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I would never use either versions from a company who deliberately waters down a product for the free version. Not saying Avast does this, but to me anyone who does is not to be trusted.:shifty:

20. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Well if you don't want a sandbox, and use Firefox w/noScript, then I'd say there's no reason to get the pro version other than to support the vendor.

It all depends on the individual too. If you can afford to do so you should support you favorite vendor. Money is tight with many people these days though (myself included). And a lot of users are kids that don't even own credit cards. If one could find Avast and Avira at their local WalMart like they can Norton & Mcafee I'm certain they'd sell a boat load more. In fact I wonder why this is not the case?... at least you can't find them on shelves around here.

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

You really can't go wrong with either. Since I use SBIE and OPF, the free version works great along side them. I never tried the Pro version but it looks pretty good.

Ice

22. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Never used Avast before, and currently testing the pro version....I'm not complaining :thumb: Runs smoothly, :) So perhaps I'll go for the pro version and spent some money for there hard work :)

23. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

If I look at the Script Shield while browsing with Firefox, I can clearly see scripts being scanned on the bar graph and the last file scanned displays. o_O

EDIT: I did a search in avast's forum and found a posting from 2005 indicating this, so maybe v4 was limited in this respect and not v5.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  24. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Jerry, I know this is extremely picky of me but someone has to tell you and it may as well be me ... it's not Avast Home it's Avast Free. Avast Home was the name given to the 4.8 version which could only be used for non commercial home use. Avast Free is available for Home and Home Office use and Avast Pro and Avast IS are also listed as Home and Home Office products so the term Avast Home is essentially redundant.

I'm not picking on you Jerry (honest) but someone has to point this out for the greater good of mankind. You are not the only one but you have said it maybe 10 times in this thread so this is an ideal opportunity for me to mention this.

Back to your original point, Avast Home ... er, I mean Free is a great product and for most people, even pedantics like me, it's enough. But Avast Pro is maybe just that more secure depending on what you are doing.

If we want Alwil to be still around in years to come then someone has to toss them a few bucks for the Pro version. Go on, you know it makes sense!

Regards
    Mr Picky ;)

25. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

is this a threat ?? lol (sorry for the off topic)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.