Avast Home and eTrust EZ, Which is better?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Scholl, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scholl

Scholl Guest

Hello!

I want free antivirus for my brand-new home computer, I used to try AVG Free, it's so great but I have to get rid of because AVG Free has no real automatic update. I end up with two freebie that have real automatic update Avast Home and CA eTrust EZ but I don't know with is better.

Are Avast Home and CA eTrust EZ (one year free) reliable as AVG Free? I know CA has been in business for a very long time but I've never used its products. A friend of mine tells me Avast Home is not a reliable products as AVG and eTrust, does anyone can confirm this?

Thanks

2. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Hi!

Well IMHO, Avast is far more reliable than AVG, check out the stats here. Avast is much more adavnced with all its different modules.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm sure AVG does have a basic auto update feature.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

At Virus Bulletin

Avast==13 success---19 failures

CA. Ino.== 20 success---11 failures

Ca. Vet.== 23 success--- 13 failures

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

That is good info but he says he is getting rid of AVG because of a lack of an auto update feature. Does AVG free lack it?

6. bigc73542

EtrustEZ antivirus always does well on detection and cleaning on VB, Check Mark and others. It is a much better product than AVG or Avast. Of the free ones Avast is probably the best But as inexpensive as EZ av is it is worth it for the better protection. I am sure that some will have a differing opinion, But I have used all of the av's mentioned here and EZ wins with no problems.

7. TAP

TAP Registered Member

He is right, AVG Free does not have completed-auto update mechanism, it has basic scheduled task for checking update only once a day, when it comes to out break if users don't know how to operate correctly or manually update so installed AVG Free on their machine is not reliable anymore.

Contrary, avast! Home has completed-auto incremental updates, sometimes approximately 2 KB and you can change its interval for checking update every hour or 30 minutes if you want.

In my opinion and experience, avast! Home is better than AVG Free/Pro and eTrust EZ (not eTrust Antivirus) when it comes to useful features, avast! Home has many robust features such as Web Shield (HTTP scanner), boot-time scan, IDS, fast incremental updates, etc. avast! has passed the latest VB100% test, it has been continuosly certified by ICSA Lab and its overall detection rates reach approximately 90% in AV-Comparatives test, so I don't know why your friend said that.

About the reliability of antivirus solutions in the real world, I think it really hard to say. It depends on many factors, e.g. how good an AV operates on your machine, AV's features, efficiency of signature update distribution, your surfing habit, your attitude and other layered protections.

Go with eTrust EZ if you want ease-of-use product.
    Go with avast! Home if you want robust and flexible product.

8. bigc73542

eTrustEZ and Etrust use the same scan engines and definitions the only difference is that etrust has a few more settings and both scan engines,Ino and Vet.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wouldn't rely on VB100% score. CA might have better history,but when i tried it it rarely detected anything that avast! did. I have kinda mixed feeling about CA just like with F-Prot. In all tests it scores great,but as soon as you throw something from net at it it won't detect anything or very rarely.
    If you ask me i'd rather stay with avast! (and i did).

10. TAP

TAP Registered Member

eTrust EZ is extremely easy to use, it is designed to be easy as possible so it is likely suit to home-novice users. I tried it and found that it has only pre-defined basic features and has even no options for choosing file type to scan, only exclusion list (or I missed something?).

If you want more flexibilities and advanced options you can't find in eTrust EZ so avast! Home is far better than eTrust EZ in this aspect and on my machine avast! is light in real time as eTrust EZ is, I didn't notice any differences.

I (not scientific) tested eTrust EZ with my malware collection that based on avast! detections, eTrust EZ always missed adware and trojans. eTrust EZ is good but in my opinion, avast! Home (freeware) is far better than eTrust EZ in term of detection rates and features.

And again.

Go with eTrust EZ if you want ease-of-use product.
    Go with avast! Home if you want robust and flexible product.

11. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I agree, who cares about history, its now that counts. Besides VB100% score can come down to things other than detection rate.

I pretty much agree with Tap & RejZoR, give avast! a try.

12. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Oh please....Care to elaborate?

tECHNODROME

13. bigc73542

Yeah really :doubt:

14. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Mayby give antivir a try ? : http://www.free-av.com/
    If you really want one of the 2 free antivirusses I would go for Avast Home.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Technodrome,i don't care what reviews say. I tried it and whatever i threw at it it wasn't detected. And those that were detected required full On-Demand scan (no on-the-fly cleaning) in order to remove them. "Oh please" gets entirely new mening doesn't it? Extreme dissapointment for me when free products offer more...

16. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Rejzor,

The thing is I do my own tests as well. I don't depend on any test out there. But the truth is, F-Prot detection rate is just as advertised.

tECHNODROME

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Well said, Technodrome. F-prot is a long-time, well established AV. Trustworthy to the extreme.

Ah well... If you can't raise the bridge, lower the water. :)

18. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

So would you say eTrust's EZ antivirus is on par with F-Prot?

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I keep asking myself what are you throwing at it that the Testers are not? o_O o_O

20. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :cool:

In the past... my very first anti-virus on my pc is AVG 6 then AVG 7, this serves me well and protected my pc from several attacks when I test it that I opened some of the spam mails on my email. Then, after several surfing habits, I found Avast! home edition... and it is an editors choice anti-virus. I tried it, and I was surprised then that it has many jaw dropping features and functions not found on AVG and probably on other anti-virus out there.

The Avast NetWork Shield and WebShield is the best features that makes me decide to choose this antivirus software program. It acts as an additional defense to my pc and makes me more confident when I am surfing the net. I am just a beginner and don't know much about the many things techno out there so I have to choose the one that has an added functionality to protect my pc. Aside from that Avast has a very fast automatic update and program features very suitable for dial-up connections.

When something bad hits my pc like worms the Avast always give notice that it blocks some worms.. and that's what I am aware of that this program is really has a real protections and that is before it gets thru into my pc.

And as long as its Resident protection is always turn on I don't have to scanned my pc, I only use the Boot-time scan as it is far more faster to scan the boot sector. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.