Avast GUI Problem !!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Recently i have been disconnected with Virtual World because my ISP disconnected my service because of some issues.. But at last it has been restored.. But when i was disconnected i have found a problem/bug in Avast GUI .. I have saw that whenever i was offline, i cannot navigate in Avast GUI because every-time i click on buttons, it get hanged ... But soon after connecting to the broadband it start working normally..

I have tested the same thing several times today.. and found the same problem. I am sure you may also replicate the same thing in your system too.. Even when i click the tray icon during offline mode, the GUI takes a lot of time to appear, and after appearing it remain hanged for a minute or two, and then i can navigate in its GUI but that too with lot of glitches ...

So my question is Why this happened? I haven't faced the same problem with other AV's ... I hope you guys and Vlk look into the matter ..

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It could be related to the banner found in free version. I suggest you post about this on avast! forums, you'll get better response there as avast! programmers hang around much more than here.

3. AvinashR

Nopes, i am not using free version.. I am using the paid Internet Security..

4. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

5. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

It only affects the main "Summary" page for me, and only the first time. If I reconnect and view the UI, then disconnect again, there is no further delay on any UI page even while the net remains disconnected. I thought it was just the inability to check the "avast! News" that was causing it.

Hi "death_god". What is a UI leak?

6. thanatos_theos

Hello "Vladimyr", is your full name Vladimyr Ilyich Lenin? :D Vlad is a cool name. :)

Same here on XP. I never noticed it. I seldomly open the UI. Might be isolated to Win7?

I meant UI memory leak. The past few days on the Avast forum I saw several threads about problems with UI. One user has UI mem leaks but that seems to be caused by malware.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Hmm I don't seem to experience this issue on WIN7 64bit when I kill my cable connection.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

no issues here with this either??

9. thanatos_theos

Just checked again today, Avast5 Home on XP, the UI loads fast with or without internet connection. Odd, since days ago it loads slow/laggy. Perhaps it was fixed already or just the caching.

I can confirm comicwm's 2nd bug report. When you right-click the Avast5 tray icon, the menu doesn't disappear if you click anywhere on the desktop.

Also, AvastUI mem usage goes up from 14k to 30k? Does this process handle the webshield traffic or a leak?

10. AvinashR

Its just caching which helps to load its GUI faster.. If you keep your broadband disconnected for about 3-5 hours and then try to load/open its GUI it will definitely load very slow and get hanged .. I have tested it nearly 10 times :)

11. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

I can confirm the issue on one of my computers. It takes one-two minutes to load gui (my laptop is completly offline so I update it manually)

12. AvinashR

Thanks for confirming... :)

13. thanatos_theos

Avast UI opens instantaneously without net connection after 9 hours of being off. I guess this issue is isolated to IS and Win7? :doubt:

14. AvinashR

I am not sure of the same.. But YEP i am using IS and Windows 7 Ultimate x86 ... So may be it is related/isolated to Windows 7 and Internet Security ...

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Strange, I'm running both and still do not see this issue.

16. AvinashR

Strange it is .. Have you kept it offline for about 4-5 hours or for a day? Better u keep your system shutdown for 4-5 hours and then start it without getting connected.. and then see...

17. thanatos_theos

@AvinashR
    Flush system restore, do a full scan (build persistent cache) then defrag. The file shield should have the options to use transient/persistent caches enabled. Do you have the latest Flash? Do you block program.avast.com (like in Hosts file, firewall, etc)? Go to settings and try turning-off option for animation and high quality graphics of tray icon.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I'll try it tonight.

19. AvinashR

I have already disabled the system restore .. As far as Persistent/Transient cache is concerned i haven't enabled it.. Animation and high quality graphics are already turned off and i do have the latest adobe flash.. I always keep my applications updated .. None of my applications are OLD.

Last but not least i haven't touched my host file ... :)

But still this problem occurs ... Anyways i will try it on clean snapshot.. and will let all of you know about this.

20. thanatos_theos

Clean up your temp files, follow a full scan with Avast allowing the persistent cache to fill up. Then enable persistent and transient caches for the File shield. Finally, do a defrag or just do the first two.

Please do. Thanks. :)

21. AvinashR

OMG too much of instructions ... My system keep itself defrag automatically. Secondly i always keep my system clean from TEMP files ... I have done all the things to clear out the issue ... And get failed.

That is why i brought this issue here.. Its not related to specific system.. There is something a problem in Avast which creates this problem..not a big one though..

22. thanatos_theos

I had you enable the caching mechanism since you told me that I may not be experiencing this issue because of the caching.

Let's wait for NAMOR since both of your are using IS and Win7.

23. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I killed my cable connection before I went to bed, woke up this morning and the GUI opened fine on my computer. Off to work...

24. thanatos_theos

Thanks for the update.

I do remember experiencing that lag after installing Avast5. After filling the persistent cache, defragging and several reboots it went away.

25. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

The only lag that I have seen is stopping all real-time scanners via the tray icon, then re-enabling them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.