Avast Free vs Avast Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TomAZ, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

A very light one, that's the thing. When your setup is already feather light to begin with, you'll notice the impact far more. Whereas if your OS is already bloated to begin with... you may not notice much. So yes, it will be more noticeable on an XP setup indeed.

But regardless of the box, I've yet to meet one that wasn't noticeably snappier after removing the AV. Not only lighter, but even quieter (less fan noise, fewer blips from the activity light, etc...). The real-time scanning (figuratively) chews on your HD. Which isn't good for your hardware either.

Right now my system cache is at only about 300 MB out of a possible 2 GB of RAM. That's the type of setup I run. And that's the type of setup I'd like to continue to run.

To each his/her own though...

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Since I don't find the speeds of my systems, now or in the past, bothersome I don't see any advantage in an increase in speed of surfing. I prefer to select my own applications using other criteria.
    I am not smart enough to do any changing of an AV much from default.
    I also am aware that if I have not experienced a much lighter system I don't know what I am missing.:)
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.