Avast Free vs Avast Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TomAZ, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Have used Avast Free for a long time now with no problems or complaints whatsoever. However, just wondering. . . is it worth the $40/yr to upgrade to Avast Pro?

I've seen and read all of the comparisons, but I'd would love to hear some feedback from real users.

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

That's a great price, but that's only for one year. Then you have to anti up again -- probably at the full price.

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

True but usually before your license expires there will either be a deal somewhere or avast will offer AIS or Pro version for some discount as well.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You will be able to buy it again at a reduced price - you'll just have to to do a search to find where. But you probably won't be able to get it cheaply again.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I bought two. Isn't that two years for $20?
    Jerry

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just upgraded to the PRO for 2 years. The Safe Zone really is cool. :cool:

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The Safe Zone is a great capability. Avast is one of my favorites.

Jerry

9. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Hi Jerry
    Does the 12 months definitely start from when you enter the file rather than the purchase date?

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I must confess I am not sure. I made an assumption. I have not used one yet. Sorry.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If both were free, I would still choose the free version over Pro.

And the same goes for Avira.

All those extra features will just cause bloat, slowdown, conflict, add attack surface, and chew on your HD.

On access (file) scanning is all you need. The rest is just garnish.

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Have you tried Avast Pro? IME, you will be surprised how light it is in real-time.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yes, I don't see bloat as the added features are only used as needed. I'm running PRO and it's really light.:)

14. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Actually, those added features/shields are running real-time and leave a footprint regardless of if they're finding anything or not. And when they're not (finding anything), ever, it's just pointless bloat. Depends on the individual though. If you find your AV detecting malware regularly, then by all means keep using it. But once again, the file shield alone will take care of you. The rest just looks cute, and I dunno, creates a nice placebo I guess.

And yes, I've used both versions of Avast. I consider the Pro version above average in terms of resource usage. I used the free version and trimmed it down to the file shield alone, caching enabled, and a few other tweaks... and it was quite light. That's what I'd recommend, if you're intent on using Avast.

The free AV's are better than the paid versions. If you really feel the need to support a vendor, send them a donation. They deserve it for providing quality products free of charge.

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Where do you find the "caching" setting?

16. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Here,and it's enabled by default btw.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon ! Right up front I think a lot of Avast and the people and product...it and the people are dedicated and effective at providing a superb app. Now having issued Kudos...my gripe is when I uninstall either Avast I.S.or Avast Pro...when the uninstaller comes to the Sandbox component...it just stalls forcing me to having to usually revert to a system restore. A bit extreme...i've used both the Avast uninstaller and RejZor's uninstaller and the Sandbox glitch remains. I like the free edition...minus sandbox...excellent protection...no glitches. Sincerely...Securon

18. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I've used AppRemover with much success. If I'm not mistaken, it's specifically designed for removing security software.

19. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Unless they've changed the way the license file works, the expiry date is written into the file when it is created. You'd have to ask Avast sales to create a single new 24 month file and cancel the 2 x 12 month files if you wanted to use them sequentially.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks,Pete.

21. century

century Registered Member

Very well said. I agree with you fully.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I almost hate to ask this, but I wonder what kind of systems y'all are running.

When various AVs are discussed there are comments about slowing the system or bloat. I don't ever notice such things, so don't really care as long as the AV is among the best as I determine considering my criteria.

I don't really understand such a focus on resource usage.

Jerry

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

People with older systems running XP with less ram would be likely to be more concerned with resource usage....

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Makes sense.
    Jerry

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I agree. However, as my XP system got to be 6 years old I saw that my resources were less and less able to do the job, so I broke down and upgraded to a new WIN7 64x PC with as much mojo as I could afford. Now resource usage isn't an issue for another 6 years. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.