Avast Free Protection V Avast Pro Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Out of these two Avast Free and Avast Pro in terms of protection are they both much alike or does the Pro version offer better protection. Also do they both use the same engine.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

They have the same definitions, same engine. If you look carefully the free home edition is just a stripped-down version of the pro edition. The pro edition has some features not found in the home edition. But whichever version you use, the protection is the same.

And BTW, your avatar reminds of a cartoon character I used to watch when I was younger.

3. Albinoni

Thanks for that. Oh yes the famous Speedy Gonzales Areeeeebaaaaa !!! :D

He was my fav character from the Merry Melodies/Bugs Bunny show.

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well Pro version is slightly more secure if you're using Internet Explorer, Netscape or Mozilla Suite (because of Script Blocker). Otherwise they only differ feature wise and not detection wise).

6. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I would ask too, if Avast Free is as fast at finding Viruses as Speedy Gonzales is at running? And if so, then is Avast Pro as fast at finding them as the Road Runner is at running. Then again didn't Speedy beat him in the race they had? LOL.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Can I offset that lack of script blocking by using something like Script Defender?

By the way, I am a happy user of your Power Defragmenter + contig. Thank you VERY much!

8. Albinoni

Just a Q here on script blocking. Are we saying here that script or scripts can contain visus code. So say for eg if I receive an email without any attachments there is a possibility that the script (text) in that email can contain a virus. Also I'm assuming that other AV software like NOD32, BD, McAfee etc would have script blocking protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.