Avast free - good on XP next 3 yrs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by act8192, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

2. Yralax

Yralax Registered Member

Probably not so good on performance. And that could be important as many Pcs which still run XP have old slow hardware. I installed what was the latest version of Avast free in february on fresh install of Windows XP on a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz. It run slowly and especially so during the bootup of the system.

Eventually I decided to go with Roboscan IS free edition instead. It supports as old Windows versions as Windows 2000 and seems to run smoothly. I installed it on my main computer as well to really get a feeling for how it would work during longer time of use. I've not uninstalled it and have no current plans of doing so unless I find something better which is light on performance.
    For some unknown reason the firewall are disabled as default but can easily be activated.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Fresh XP installs are prone to immense CPU usage due to several unfixed bugs in OS updates (.NET framework, Windows Update etc). I've installed avast! 2014 on old systems and it worked just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.