Avast free disables laptop

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shaney, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaney

shaney Registered Member

A few days ago my missus got a new laptop with Windows 7.
    I don't use windows anymore (linux user) but when I did, I always swore by Avast Free antivirus, used it for years and it never failed me so I automatically installed it on her new comp.

Trouble is, the laptop would not resume from suspend. Not only that, it wouldn't do ANYTHING after suspend.
    Could not get it running, couldn't power it down or anything. Only solution was to physically remove the battery, which of course is potentially damaging the computer.

After experimenting, I found the only way to get it to wake up from suspend was to disable the Avast shields but as soon as I enabled them again, the problem returned.

So I have installed AVG which is not causing any problems but we don't like the "tacked on" ad window.
    Looking at reviews it seems a lot of free av are ad-supported now.
    We don't so much mind ads in free stuff, just not in your face stuff or popup nag screens.

So does anyone know of any KNOWN workarounds for the Avast resume problem (not prepared to risk further damage by more experimenting) or of a good free antivirus that isn't so pushy in trying to get me to upgrade to the paid version?

Something in the main window is ok but not on every notification or every time you update etc...

<EDIT>
    The latop is a HP Pavillion dm4-1150ea

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

you can try panda cloud antivirus and see if you like it..

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

5. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

It could be due to some other Antivirus product which came preeinstalled with the laptop and it may not have been removed properly.

6. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yep, that's it. What AV was pre-installed? Did you use the manufacturers removal tool after you uninstalled it via programs / features?

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I concur remnants. AV & IS companies should make sure they completely uninstall. I consider it a mild form of ransom ware. The average user has problems uninstalling original & or installing new. Just says _____ it! I'll reinstall what came with the puter & buy a year for $50-$80. It's a scam.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You don,t need to remove battery for a laptop. Just keep the power button pressed for a while and it will re-set power supply making the computer off. Just in case you need to do it again.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You were mentioning "avast! Free 2012" on avast! forums. There is no such thing as avast! Free 2012... Are you sure you were using the actual avast! program from www.avast.com ?

10. shaney

shaney Registered Member

[off-topic bit, I have instant email notification checked but haven't recieved any emails so didn't know there had been any replies]

@ RejZoR
    To be honest, I don't know where I got the 2012 bit from, I may have misread but yes I did go to the avast site, which directed me to download.com for the actual download link.

@ aigle
    I tried holding down the power button for over a minute, tapping the button, pressing a few seconds then releasing then pressing a few seconds more etc.
    It simply would not do anything, removing the battery was the ONLY thing I could do.

Regarding the resume problem though, after running windows today the problem has returned even without avast installed.
    It has also started doing it when running in linux.

Much googling suggests there are serious problems with this particular laptop.
    My guess is the way it was working with avast disabled and then not when enabled means the AV may have just been aggravating a problem that was already there.

So thanks for replies but it seems the real solution is get rid of this junk laptop and try to get a refund/swap for one I can happily use my choice of AV on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.