avast! Free comparison

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Seeker, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Could the best antivirus be free?

What a great little site. Also, it has to be said, avast! Free really stacks up well against its paid counterparts.

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

3. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Awesome!Bravo Avast!!:thumb:

4. tipo

tipo Registered Member

do you really think avast is better than norton??o_O this is going to be an A vs B thread..the ending of this thread is so close... :D

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

We dont think , we know ! And u can see the graphs for urself too ...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  6. The Seeker

Who said avast! is better than Norton? I simply shared an interesting site that uses actual test data.

7. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

I am a big fan of Avast, I love their products. But the fact that they are quoting static detection tests to say they're the best made me facepalm pretty hard.

8. The Seeker

Please point to the section where avast! states they're the best.

To clarify, I came across this comparison site at avast!'s blog, which contains the following quote:

Link.

9. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Pure marketing. Like everybody else, they choose which test-results to show. They dont show results of "Whole Product Dynamic Tests", "Performance Tests" perfomed by AV-Comparatives to name a few. Like any other tests, you have to understand the test and whats behind the test. The numbers dosent tell any of that. Just pure marketing for the mass public. Btw. the prices are ridicilious.

I like Avast to (at least the free version) but this reminds me of Languys tests who always favors Comodo products (which can be difficult for the random knowledge to see).

10. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I believe that these tests were a little "chosen". Avast! is an excellent product, but best of all, at least for me, no.

11. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I like Avast but this is pure marketing and ridiculous.:doubt:

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Having tested most of these AVs myself, I do not believe some of these numbers at all.

Edit: Reading the fine print, they did not test Norton, but rather Symantec Endpoint. Worthless comparison for home users.

13. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Then avast paid should be better, but no: it just includes a manual sandbox, a browser and a command line.
    Do you really think you can compare AV's by the price?

It is funny this Syndrome of the FreeAV / marketing departments.

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Go to the link again and check avc results not the other ones..norton is tested

15. The Seeker

I have to be honest, I didn't expect the thread to go this way. I guess I underestimated the collective cynicism.

16. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Marketing is the reason Avast is so popular even before becoming one of the best. Some are really swayed by this kind of stuff and almost everybody loves freeware.

17. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like Avast a lot. I just don't think it is the best AV program, free or paid. This is just marketing from them.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Its not the best free maybe, but it is sure darn close and for a free product, offers more then all the other free ones.

As good as Norton, when Avast has it tuned in right, yes it is, but then they untune it with a new update. They need to learn they dont need to fix one thing just to break 3 other things.

19. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Norton performs very well in the "In-The-Wild" tests by VirusBulletin which are more important, not the case for other vendors.

20. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

lol .. i have used avast for many months now and i feel this .. and the tests feel the same too

21. The Seeker

To those who say "it's just marketing" - of course it is, they're a company.

22. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Then create a topic for other companys too, the new ESET commercial is awesome.;)

23. The Seeker

This is not a commercial as such, it's a comparison containing data from real world tests, laid out in an attractive fashion.

24. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

@ everybody

OK guys enough with that brouhaha; please let us all settle this. Here is my point of view: "Avast is the best free AV and Avast is one of the best paid AV period." :).

Thanks.

25. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Here is my opinion of Avast. It is the most complete free anti virus there is with the addition of boot scan.The updates are superb better then some paid ones and better then any other free.

its detection is not far from some of the best if not on par with them and does not cost you a single penny.

In most cases you get what you pay for with Avast you get what you would normally pay for a very good AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.