avast! free combined with AntiVir Personal

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by koliko, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koliko

koliko Registered Member

Hello guys!
    I know that I might be talking about making an AV abomination, but this is just a hypothetical question, so please be gentle. :) What would happen if one combined some parts of both the above mentioned products, yet still taking precautions not to cause any conflicts? For example, would it be possible to combine AntiVir Guard with avast!'s Behaviour and Web Shields? In theory, wouldn't that be a top-notch 'AV marriage'? :cool:

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Might be an AV nightmare conflict. In theory you could yeah. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Thats if you can get your computer to work again:p

3. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Do not forget to add MSE to this combination.

Seriously, there were some rumors that MSE can work along with Avast.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

those wer a few idiots on avast forums during the early beta and the only compatibility that was checked was that the processes didnt conflict, no testing of what happens during a detection, or who gets control over the detected file, etc. were tested.

so those are rumors that need to be thrown out the window

5. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I've seen that combination posted here before (Avira guard & Avast 4.8 webshield). It's been tried I think by more than one person successfully. One post reported something getting by Avast's webshield and was picked up by Avira. I haven't tried it myself.

Edit: Not advocating this setup, just saying it's been done.

6. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Just kidding. :D

But the truth is that I am one of the idiots who have experimented using Avira with some other antiviruses.

Of course, it was only an amateur and superficial short-time experimentation. In short, unless some slowdown, there were no other issues, and Avira should always grabbed the viruses first.

Using two antiviruses is not a good idea, unless you use AV software which is designed for something like that (like Prevx, for example).

7. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

For this purpose, you need specific programs like G Data which use dual engines, otherwise its a very bad idea.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

But it sounds like good fun for trying within Shadow Defender et al! :cool:

9. icr

icr Registered Member

Why not try for yourself and let us know:)

10. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

On a test machine or virtual drive; cool, let us know how it went. On a production machine: That would make one as big an idiot as me when I mixed kav6 and bitdefender. Man, I swore I heard my computer scream.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It can be done, but you have to exclude certain locations from each other, otherwise AVIRA will be alerting on unpacked avast! files and vice versa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.