Avast Free and Avast Internet Security (AV Only Questions)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I dont see anything from the website that indicates there is a difference between the Avast Free and Avast Pro/IS antivirus module.

Are there any difference in configuration settings, detections, etc? Im contemplating installing Avast IS with just the file shield and going back to my old setup.

2. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

There is no difference between the module in either version of the software as far I as I could tell from testing both right after each other about a month ago.

3. whitedragon551

So the Free AV is exactly the same as the Pro and AIS AV counterparts? The only difference would be access to the additional modules at each step up?

4. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Yes this is correct.

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, there is one more minor difference however. For all products the update interval can be set manually, however no matter how low you put it, the Free version won't do it more than every two hours, and the paid versions every 30 minutes. There were also plans for an push update system for the paid versions, but from what I understand it's not coming in 5.1 and there is no confirmation it will be coming in 6.0.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the push updates are scrapped, its no coming in any version, they replaced that idea with cloud function that will be coming in v6

7. whitedragon551

Another thing I thought of is with the AIS AV only module there is no annoying ads.

8. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

I only see updates coming out two or three times a day, so the more frequent checks really don't make a difference. I wouldn't upgrade based on that alone.

9. firzen771

annoying ads? only one i can remember was an ad on the main status page of the UI :doubt:

10. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

and u can even block that with a firewall :cautious:

11. Manide

Manide Registered Member

Go here, scroll down and read under Technologies that are not included in avast! Free Antivirus... it's about Script shield. Doesn't matter if using any browser except IE, as you'll see.

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

The Pro and IS versions also have Virtualization (i.e. sandboxing) available.

13. whitedragon551

Im aware. Ive written a tutorial on it. Its very easy to do.

The Avast virtualization is far from complete or stable. Im only concerned with the antivirus portion. Seems that they are all identical aside from the free version only being able to update every 2 hours at the earliest.

14. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I agree the Sandbox component is not quite tuned to perfection yet...:rolleyes: :)

15. firzen771

not quite as good as sandboxie yet, but Far from complete? id say not far, and Far from stable? well id say thats wrong since im using it with all my browsers and its completely stable from my experience.

16. whitedragon551

The Avast Sandbox doesnt even allow flash. Sounds like it sure is stable. Avast's answer to that is well sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Keep trying until it does. :rolleyes:

17. firzen771

lol i guess im not actually watching youtube right now then, must be a figment of my imagination, dont point specific issues on specific browsers as the entire feature being unstable. every products gunna have bugs that get found, and that is just a specific bug, but the sandbox is not unstable, i havent had a crash or malfunction since using it with my browsers (firefox, IE)

18. whitedragon551

A specific bug that shouldnt even exist. Flash is a fundamental part of the internet. The issue is with x64 systems. However that doesnt excuse it. I know I know KPP is the culprit except its not. KPP has nothing to do with the Avast sandbox or how it works.

19. firzen771

KPP? srry not sure what that is :oops: but im on x64, i use firefox, and IE with the sandbox, both have working flash. are u saying the prob is with x64 systems or x64 versions of the browsers? if its x64 versions of the browsers isnt flash still beta for that anyways>

20. whitedragon551

KPP = Kernel Patch Protection

Its with x64 OS. IEx64, IEx86, and FFx86 versions all had the issue.

Like I said it may be working for you this time, but Avast has said sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. If it doesnt work keep reloading until it does. You may have just gotten lucky and it worked for you, but thats not the majority case. Like I said Flash should have absolutely no issues running within the Sandbox in Avast as its a huge part of web pages and interaction.

21. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im using w7 64 bit with firefox and flash works ok for me in the sandbox.However sometimes pages load with images stripped from them.I just then clear recent history from within the virtualized firefox and everything works fine again.Some sites like genes reunited wont bring up the tree in virtualised state though.I dont know why that is.Ive never not been able to view you tube from within the box though ,so i wonder whether the flash problem is some how more specific than random?
    ellison

22. firzen771

guess i am indeed just lucky that ive had no flash problems for about the month ive been using AIS, but idk if the majority is indeed having this problem, ive seen a few people posting about it on avast forum (its def a bug for sure, no doubt), but i dont see the avast forums being flooded by hundreds of people complaining about it so idk for sure that the majority is having this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.