avast! firewall and windows firewall.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by arjunned, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

Hi,

I'm just trialing the Internet Security suite of avast! 5.
    I just noticed that after installing the suite (which has a firewall, offcourse), that the Windows Firewall didn't get disabled. Should i Disable it? Does the avast! firewall run along side W7 firewall (like Windows 7 Firewall Control) or does it have a firewall all by itself.

Thanks and Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Never have two FW running together. They conflict with eachother and can cause serious problems to your machine.

You should as well not run two AVs together.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Never have two FW running together

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Most firewalls are not designed to run with windows firewall, some do disable windows firewal before installing... even recent OSs (e.g. VISTA and Windows 7) warns about running multiple firewalls. Your statement is a nice help for novice to get in trouble. LOL :thumb: :)

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Nothing can be further from the truth in placing, a what you think is a a novice, in trouble but advising that Windows firewall can coexist with 3rd party firewall. What I said is based on experience in running it in conjunction with other firewalls. Don't run something like ZA and KIS together, not that it can anyhow, but windows firewall works just fine. It is a very simple test and things you read about you should question and check that it is as it is said it is. So once again, windows firewall in its default configuration will not hinder or interfere with other 3rd party firewall and that can be ZA, McAfee, KIS NIS, Eset Avast or any other decent 3rd party firewall you can think of.

7. rocky6

rocky6 Registered Member

8. arjunned

Yes. This why i asked the question. Just wasn't sure. I had read thru the avast! forums but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Couldn't Keep avast! IS on my main system. The firewall has conflicts with Sandboxie (64 bit). Still trying to figure out whats exactly is conflicting (in a VM).

9. fax

fax Registered Member

No, it cannot... for example, with ZA it can cause malfunction and potential failures (e.g. FTP fail to connect / server blockage). This is why ZA disabled it by default at install. Running two software firewall at the same time makes little sense, just a lot of fighting for resources and hooking behind the scene.

I don't know how many users I have helped due to 'smart' suggestions such as "two is better than one". Most third party firewall are not specifically designed and tested to run with windows firewall. And there is no reasons why they should be

I don't know about AVAST firewall.... may be it is designed to work with the windows firewall. Probably because it does not cover all elements of the standard windows firewall :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im not an expert by any means ,but i would have thought that disabling (turning off) windows firewall shouldnt interfere with ipsec at all.Stopping the service maybe a different matter?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755158(WS.10).aspx
    Coexistence with third-party firewalls

Windows Firewall with Advanced Security consists of a set of services that provide much more than the traditional firewall. IPsec connection security rules, network service hardening, boot time filters, firewall filters, and stealth filters are all services provided by Windows Firewall with Advanced Security in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Because multiple firewall programs can be problematic due to conflicts, if you install a third-party firewall program, you need to turn off the Windows Firewall. In previous versions of Windows, turning off the firewall meant also disabling all of the related services. If the third-party program does not provide all of the same functionality, then you might be unintentionally exposing your computer to threats for which you no longer have protection. In Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security enables more specific disabling of its features through published application program interface (API) calls. When a third-party firewall program is installed, the installer can disable only those portions of Windows Firewall with Advanced Security that conflict with the services that are provided by the third-party program. Other Windows Firewall with Advanced Security services are left enabled, and continue to help protect your computer.

ellison

11. icr

icr Registered Member

Why I BETA rested Avast I had kept my windows firewall ON for almost all the time actually I don't even know that I had disabled it ever during testing so I don't think it does conflict but as all say(and even do I) never keep two firewalls ON simultaneously and also avast firewall is good to provide necessary protection not a top-notch one but can provide you sufficient protection:)

12. arjunned

I think Sandboxie has a conflict with the avast! firewall. My sandboxed browsers seem to hang frequently. This never happened before, when i was using the free version.
    There has been a report, for a conflict between avast! firewall and sandboxie x64, in the avast forums. But there doesn't seem to be a reply.

Sandboxie comes up with the following error.
    http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/605/captureeem.png

13. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I think you're right about SandboxIE and avast! Internet Security.
    I'm receiving the same message using these two.

As far as whether or not to disable Windows Firewall, Vlk himself said on the avast! forum that there's no need to.

14. born2golf

born2golf Registered Member

Not true! I am running Avast 5.0...,sandboxie and a firewall and have had no problems or errors.

15. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

For the record I'm running v5.0.396 of aIS and v3.44 of SBIE.

Are you running avast! Internet Security (the suite with the firewall)?

16. born2golf

Windows firewall, Avast 5.0.396 and sandboxie

17. arjunned

There are no conflicts with the free or pro version of avast! with sandboxie. Its only with the IS suite. So the conflict is with the firewall component of the IS suite.

18. born2golf

I figured it had something to do with IS Suite and their firewall.
    Thanks for the input.

19. Logos

Logos Registered Member

thanks for that link ;) there has been some controversy about that on Avast forums recently and I'm really glad I logged in here tonight and found your post. I always as a rule disabled Windows Firewall when running a third party firewall, and the MS statement confirms that I shouldn't change this habit....on Win7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.