Avast/AVG/Comodo scan speed: too fast?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 666, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 666

666 Registered Member

I'm running AVG Free on one computer, and Avast on another. Today I also tried Comodo AntiVirus. All three are configured to do on-demand scans only. No background scans, no on-access scans, no scheduled scans.

An on-demand scan of a 1.1 GB movie (avi) takes ages with Avast.

Comodo takes ages (well, seconds) to load its scan engine, but the file itself is scanned in about a second. AVG takes less than a second to tell me the file is clean.

Sounds good, but...

...the scan is too fast!

It's simply impossible to scan all 1.184.337.920 bytes of my movie that fast. I know for sure that the read speed of my HD is nowhere near a gig per second.

So I suspect that AVG and Comodo take shortcuts. Maybe they only scan part of the file, like the headers, but not the video frames.

Can anyone confirm this?

2. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

avi's, if they are actually avi by content might be skipped by some scanners because they are not programs. most AVs scan it quick though.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast!'s right click context option scans the files in most thorough way possible.
    This means it will unpack any archive, any packer, scan entire file from start to end regardless of file typeand will also ignore virus targeting detection.

4. 666

666 Registered Member

Is there a way to make AVG do the same? I looked in all the config sceens, but I couldn't find any option to make it scan the entire file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.