Avast AV cant update with.....

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Rodehard, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

This things purring now; One last tweak... Blocking drivers and services option prevents Avast anti virus from updating thusly:

23 Feb 19:30:31 - [DRIVER/SERVICE] c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\setup\avast.setup [540] Tried to install a driver/service named TestService

The problem is that there is no file "avast.setup" in the target directory (Ja, Ja I know about hidden and system files). There is a .pf file by that name in the prefetch directory but no executable anywhere on the hard drive. I assume then that this is a file launched from the server side during the update processo_O?? I know some here use Avast so Im hoping this one will be easy.
    The work around is obvious but then it wouldnt be perfect.....

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Although the "avast.setup" file might not exist you should still be able to manually add "c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\setup\avast.setup" to Process Guard's list of programs. Then simply add the option for that process to install drivers/services.

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. Rodehard

Wow, you guys are quick. So, uh, how does one manually add this process? Typing it in after selecting the Add File To Protect button results in a cant find file msg. INI file?

4. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

We're just doing our job, sir. :)

Yes sorry, you'll need to make a temporary "avast.setup" file in that location (you can easily create the file with something like Notepad), then you'll be able to add that file to the list. When the file has been added to the list, you can delete the temporary file.

In a future version of Process Guard we may change it so that rather than just saying "File not found", it will ask "File not found, would you like to add it anyway?", which will make situations like this a bit easier.

Best regards,
    Wayne

5. Rodehard

Ahhh, so easy when you know the tricks. On my system it wouldnt work until I deleted the created files. Much thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.