Avast Antivirus Update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sooflymami, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

The green notice used to pop up everytime when I turn my computer on for Avast but now, it's not coming up anymore. I've had those green notices come up on my screen but I didn't click on it. The blue notice saying "new definitions has been updated" still comes up but not the green one that says there's a new update available. What should I do? Should it come up again?

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I believe that if you right click the system tray rotating icon and click Update, and doing the update, you will have answered their offer to do so. Then when a new update becomes available they will start asking you again. :)

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Check your version, first, post back the result.
    Right click the tray icon, select "about avast!", expand the first two lines.The "build" is the program version, the "VPS file version" is the definitions file.
    There have been several program updates over the past month - 4 IIRC, and the normal number of VPS updates - around daily.
    Double check the settings for updating, to see if the appropriate checkboxes are ticked as you want them to be. (Normally VPS=automatic, program=ask.)
    The program updates are released over a scheduled period, to avoid excessive server demand. I would think the "pro" customers get theirs first, followed by the "home" customers, by license nr, ISP nr, or some other means.

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

PS, did you re-register Avast?
    (reference= your last thread.)

5. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

The green notice used to always come up when I turn on my computer and on my other computer as well, but it stopped coming up for some reason. I right clicked on the avast icon and went to "about avast" and it said that I have the 4.8 version. And yes I renewed the license key already. I had the settings to ask when theres a new program update and the new definitions update is set as automatic. But I just changed it to autotomatic for the program update but didn't do anything when I restarted my computer. So if it still doesn't do anything for a while, then I will just right click on the icon and then go to program update.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

sooflymami
    It's the build number that I was hoping you'd post.
    Currently at 4.8.1296.
    If you right-click the tray icon, select "about Avast", and expand the top line, it will give you the build.
    I suspect yours is out of date..for some reason the automatic update to the current version didn't work with me either, or maybe I got impatient..anyway, try manually updating the program, see how that goes.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I read that somewhere.:doubt:

8. romance520

romance520 Registered Member

I had just updated my Avast!,from 4.8.1292 to 4.8.1296,and,after reboot,that's not any problem...
    Amm...additional,my version is Avast! for Home...
    :D
    It's working with Outpost Firewall so good,so secure,in my opinion...

9. progress

progress Guest

When will Avast 4.8 update to Avast 5? :rolleyes:

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

It's likely that it won't.
    Avast 5 will be a new download, if it occurs via the Avast 4 updater that would surprise me.
    But it might. Avast continually surprises me.
    Avast 5 will probably be released sometime this year. Probably in a few months, maybe a bit later....

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! 5 is unofficially planned sometime in the summer.

12. progress

progress Guest

Thank you :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.