avast! antivirus - Disable SSL/TSL for Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Open up Avast...

1. To the left side pane in Avast, Click on Real-Time Shields
    2. Then click Mail Shield
    3. Click on Expert Settings in Mail Shield
    4. A new window will pop up, in that window click SSL Accounts on the left hand side categories.
    5. On the very bottom of that option uncheck Automatically detect and warn about unprotected SSL connections. Once you have done that hit OK

This should get rid of that message. And no, Do not disable that through Thunderbird...Its just a matter of letting Avast know not to bug you about it anymore. Trust me, Your email client will still work properly.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Done!! Thanks a lot bro!! :)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Disable secure login in Thunderbird as avast! will use it and then forward "unprotected" to the mail client itself. So the connection will still be secure to your computer, avast! will be able to scan it and it will then forward from the scan engine to the mail client. This way you can have scanning without any compromise to the data transfer security...

5. Tyrizian

No problem, anytime. :thumb:

6. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

That'll get rid of the message alright, but why shoot the messenger when you could just do what it says and have avast! scan your mail? Do you deal with a "Stop" sign by cutting it down?
    Disable the warning only as a last resort. First resort? Yes, do disable SSL in Thunderbird.

7. Tyrizian

I will go ahead and make a few corrections on my last post. Yes, if you want to get rid of the message, my solution will work as a last resort. But Vladimyr is right, you should disable that in Thunderbird, So Avast can start scanning your mail....This should be your first resort.

Sometimes people make mistakes, and I just very well did inform you incorrectly. I do apologize, the advice that Vladimyr gave you is what I should have said to begin with, rather than pointing you to a last resort short cut.

Sometimes I should think before I post...Won't happen again. :thumb: ? :thumbd: ? We cool? :D

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

What, exactly, will you lose in terms of protection against malware? There is a "Allow anti-virus clients to quarantine individual incoming messages" Thunderbird setting which according to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_each_e-mail_to_a_separate_file_before_adding_to_Inbox appears designed to give an AV program the opportunity to scan and quarantine individual messages via the monitoring of filesystem activity rather than the monitoring of email client<->server traffic. Does that cover the bases?

What (additional) privacy issues will be created by allowing avast to MITM your (SSL) email server connections and see your usernames/passwords? What (additional) information about email communications will the avast software send to avast's servers?

How does the avast SSL/TLS implementation compare to Thunderbird's WRT robustness, certificate checking, etc?

Since you are relying on the avast software to automatically/transparently redirect your connections and provide a secure connection, your email login information and email messages could be compromised (without warning from Thunderbird) if the avast functionality is disabled (for testing or whatever) or uninstalled. Will you remember this and make the necessary adjustments before hand?

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! is as much MITM (Man In The Middle) as it is Thunderbird itself.

10. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

From the point of view of say Thunderbird being Man1 and your email server being Man2, I think not. From the point of view of say human email sender being Man1 and human email recipient being Man2, yes both pieces of software (and others to various extents) are in the middle of and exposed to (various extents) the communications and thus I think it becomes a question of to add or not to add an additional piece of software in the middle.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Data transfer between avast! and Thunderbird is local so that's irrelevant really... If you're worried about data getting stolen from there, one could just as well hijack Thunderbird and do the same thing directly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.