Avast Anti-Virus.....Freeware AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by discogail, Jun 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discogail

discogail Security Expert

I've been hearing good things....positive feedback..about this around the boards & the newsgroups............

"avast! home completely free of charge since 1. 6. 2001"

"avast! home is the complete antivirus program which is able to find computer viruses, to create and to check the integrity of the programs installed, to test the executed programs and opened documents, to test the email and other functions. There are two interfaces available: simple (CD recorder) or enhanced. Scanning is also available in the shell extension and screen server."

http://www.avast.com/avahome.htm

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I've heard the good things, too, DG - unfortunately, I can't get it to run here. maybe a bad d/l. I'll try it again some other time. Pete

*Okay, I've tried it two more times and I give up - it simply refuses to play with the rest of my system. Since I'm already more than well-covered with AV programs (NOD32, eTrust and AVG), I'm not going to spend any more wheel-spinning time on this one.

DG - It's up to you to give us some actual user reports on this one! :) Pete

3. Warlock

Warlock Registered Member

This is my first post in this forum; so please bare with me! :rolleyes: I have tried Avast Anti-Virus, and found it ok; but it wants to back up your entire system. Also on the first scan I made of my system; it got 11 false positives. I also run McAfee; AntiVir, AVG, Ants, Fprot for Dos. None of these virus scanners picked up anything. All of those scanners are fully up-to-date. As far as the freebies go I have found that AVG is as good as any of them; and I won't go without F-Prot.
    I am looking forward to reading and participating in this forum.
    Warlock
    P.S. I get anywhere from 2 to 6 virus e-mails per day; namely Klez.H. Are any of you guys getting as many?

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Warlock wish you welcome! I didn't get any klez.h gift so far, but many people did. You are not alone....

Technodrome

5. Warlock

Warlock Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome, Technodrome!! :) I have been getting that Klez virus since it came out. We just seem to get one person cleaned up and then someone else gets it.
    Oh well!! I guess I am doing good; a friend of mine told me today that she got 63 Klez e-mails yesterday!!
    A question: I downloaded Ants Anti-Trojan from this site;I have tried to check for updates and it said problem with the server. I have tried to update several times and get the same thing. Do you know if there is really a problem or what might be wrong?
    Much Obliged!
    Warlock

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

7. Mina Guindy

Mina Guindy Guest

it is a very nice AV, while creating its integrity db (just after installation) fount a trojan (W32/Trojan-gen(VC) ) that was missed by both AVG6 and F-prot for DOS, both updated with the latest virus data files.
    Avast32 passed the ITW test by Virus Bulletin for June 2002 http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/tests.xml?200206
    good job Alwil

Mina

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Make sure that this is not false positive !~

Technodrome

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'm d'ling this one now, gonna give it a test spin or two in the morning.

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm it tells me that my "Bitdefender for ICQ" is infected with a VCL something or other.. Gotta be false.

11. beagle42420

beagle42420 Guest

It doesn't seem to like the Bootvis.exe utility from Microsoft for Windows XP, either...false positive every time.

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Just out of curiousity, can you exclude detection on the false positives? Pete

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Having not had my head on straight enough to think of this before you said it.. I went to looking. I found a list that is user-modifiable of "locations that will not be scanned or tested"... I think this means yes, but I'll hafta mess with it later on to see if I can specify that file. Pretty sure I can though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.