Avast 8 Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by avman1995, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So is there a consensus on this new version? Regardless I'm still sticking with BitDefender due to the detection rates and lack of interaction (more for people I recommend it to than me).

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Have a FP from script shield when i online acces Last Pass vault the deleted sites section.

3. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

4. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Since it's powered by Adblock Plus, I think it would be using Easylist or Fanboy's.

6. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

7. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Comodo 6 o_O
    Thanks.

8. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Yeah, Comodo FW/BB 6

9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

:thumb: Thanks for info.

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well version 6 is the only version of comodo that has a BB so how come their is confusion here!!?

11. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Comodo 6 and avast! 8
    No confusion whatsoever.
    I have used Comodo and avast combinations for many years.
    Just happy that both new versions can happily co-exist together ;)

Antimalware:
    Be pleased to hear how the combo works out :)

12. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Anyone who speaks French mind giving a summary of what the tester found?

From watching it but not knowing French, these are my assumptions. If you speak French, please watch it and confirm the following?

1) On link blocking it seemed 100%. Yes?

2) On file detection percentage, it seemed it was in the mid 90s? Did he every say what the detection rate was? OR did he say how many files were in folder and then how many were left after the Avast scan so you could calculate the detection rate?

3) And of the ones that were not detected via a scan and left in the folder, it seemed 100% were blocked from executing when he tried running them. Is that correct?

If my assumptions of that tests are correct, it seems consistent with PCSecurity's test on Youtube which is the only one I can find that did detection rate (rest were just linked tests.) In PCSecurity's tests, it blocked 100% links and 100% in scan plus blocking ones left when they were ran and in his replies, he said it did better than his Bitdefender tests. You can view it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lLztvGBpgI

13. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I tried Avast!8 today, but it kept killing WinPatrol, so I uninstalled it. I'm thinking of reporting them to the ASCPA for killing my Scotty dog!:(

14. spywar

spywar Registered Member

1. 1/2 were dead but it actually blocked everything so 100%.

2. When I gave him the samples to test V8 I only submitted undetected ones from my pack so that's why avast! detected only 2 samples. And that's why he did not mention any detection rate (as I only gave him undetected ones).

3. Yes Evo-Gen tech and FileRepMalware (based on similarity search) did block every pieces of malwares.
    More info about how they work :
    https://blog.avast.com/2012/12/03/new-toy-research-lab/
    Also, more interesting stuff is coming especially to improve autosandbox detection (dynamic analysis).

15. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Is that in Windows 7..? The Avast WebShield bypass is still an issue with the CIS firewall. Are you using WebShield..?

16. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I had the same problem but it was not caused by avast. The following workaround has fixed it for me until a WinPatrol update which hopefully will be soon.

Please read here regarding WinPatrol crashing. -> -http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/-

Bill has posted a temporary fix until an update is released.
    "The other easy solution if you really miss having Scotty on patrol seems to be removing the check box on the Options tab that says, “Share real-time cloud choices”.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Avast's software updater is detecting my Firefox as 18.0.2 even though I already updated to 19. Is there a way to fix that (other than selecting Ignore)?

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Wow WinPatrol is still kicking huh? Its been to long. Its a system monitor of sorts correct?

19. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Yes, it has become one of my favorite programs. It notifies anytime a new startup entry is detected, browser homepage changes, new scheduled task, new services, host file changes, etc.

Anymore, I don't feel comfortable without it. Strange, I know.

I attached an image to show the box that needs unchecked (Share real-time cloud choices) until an update is released. The tab tags will show more of what WP notifies on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  20. Antimalware18

Forgive my ignorance, Because I have heard of this issue, but I have no idea as to what the issue with the web shield/CFW is. Both are running completely fine on my system and If I remember correctly last time Comodo was updated it included a fix with avast web shield. o_O

21. The Red Moon

No comodo did not fix this and is still having problems with the transparent proxy.I dont see it as a big deal really and online armor is not effected with it.
    Its all over the comodo forum.

22. Antimalware18

I'll have to go take a look later. How much of a security issue is this? big enough I should switch to a different firewall? I like OA but the issue is that it's bit heavy on this computer and it doesnt have a non chatty BB along the lines of what CFW has. Thanks for the warnings though.

23. The Red Moon

Stick with comodo as they are releasing monthly updates and is due one soon.Perhaps it will be fixed in this update.Its not as serious as some people think it is.:D

24. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I really like this new Avast! 8.

Faster, more efficient, nice new features, and a very beautiful new GUI. Much better, congratulations!

I replaced MSE on XP with Avast! 8 Free, and maybe WSA on 7 will be the next one to be replaced here.

I may even buy some paid version of Avast! 8 just to show some gratitude (the Free one already has all I need atm).

25. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Is Avast Firewall very good? Worth buying?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.