Avast 8 Free AV – A step in the wrong direction?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aztony, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That was exactly the place I found myself. Avast 7, particularly those early releases was a deal breaker for me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Irrespective of the topic heading,you cant get without a single issue popping up with 200 million registered users and 180 million active users and people over many forums ranting about it,should learn that even KIS and Avira have like 300 million and 100 million users respectively and they have had worst issues and by the way even kaspersky has had rushed versions and releases and why again are we picking only on avast when other vendors have had worst issues,remember about kaspersky,avira,mcafee issues in past :rolleyes:

Again in my opinion.People want to have a big name like "Avast" to fall upto big expectations and when it doesnt happen to come to that point,people began to make such ranted blog topics and things that actually dont match the facts.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Unfortunately in life if you climb to the top of any profession or trade people will always try to drag you back down again..Fact of life.

Avast like many other vendors have climbed to the top steadily over the years and now has a substantial amount of users.
    They have set their own high standard and are expected to keep to it.If they put a foot wrong the detractors are on you like the proverbial ton of bricks.

4. aztony

aztony Registered Member

No doubt there were users that did not have issues. They were the lucky ones. But it seems to me some people have convenient memories, and or, are so enarmored with a particular AV that they bury their heads in the sand while singing 'Kumbaya.' I can't speak for the alleged 200 million users out there, but I can speak of my own experience(s) with 'avast 7' which were nothing short of horrendous. And what was even more appalling is that subsequent updates/fixes were no better, and, when they did get a fix right, the very next update screwed things up again. No, I need an AV that is predictably consistent. Lately with avast that is a crap shoot at best. You just never know what you're going to get with their program updates. This from a former loyal avast user since the version 4 days.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  5. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

if i open an archive using in-built browser of archive program & select a file/files inside & then click extract to & select location i don't think there is any exploit which can affect this process.maybe you are referring to those specially created self executable archives which on double-clicking are capable of executing tasks but then i never double click any such executable file & choose to extract the files inside again using archive program to first browse inside that file.

6. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Avast 8 my homework.

7. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I use CIS and found that whenever I report about suspicious or trusted/unknown file through CIS or KillSwitch, Comodo disregards this info. I have to report it at their forum what is rather uncomfortable.

Some years ago I used Avast and had the best impressions of it. Does Avast Free has such a feature? Does it work?

8. spywar

spywar Registered Member

The submit file fonction of CIS 6.1 submit the unknown files first to CAMAS to see if they can be classified in a couple of seconds/minutes. If not then they go for manual process which takes (don't know how long) a LOOOONG time. Valkyrie should improve this because its goal will be classification of safe and malware files.

9. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Thanx for reply, in general I know that about Comodo. Here I'm interested how's that in Avast. I guess it must be more user friendly then in Comodo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.