Avast 7/8 high cpu usage during video (browser?) playback

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dazed1, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Hi guys.

I'm an moderate-advanced user, and i often help my friends with malware and clean their systems, when i do that, i install Avast on their decent but low end systems, still more then capable to handle modern AV, core 2 duo + 2GB ram ect.

Now, when they are using Avast, they got cpu spikes, all 3 of them, including me! so this can't be configuration/os related, no way!

To recrate the problem i reinstalled Avast on my pc, while my pc is very powerful, and total overkill, i5 @4.8Ghz constant frequency, and Samsung 840 pro SSD, i still mind this spikes which should not happen, at all.

http://i.imgur.com/8vYxLtF.png

It happens always, when you fast forward, pause-play, or even during normal playback, but at random times. I have no browser protection installed, neither they had. Very low junk installed very low number of addons, maximum performance tuned pc, with 8GB of ram as well.

This was exactly the same on version 7, and its still not fixed yet. Its same on fresh os/used, nothing changing.

Any toughts?

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like the newer versions of Avast a lot. I recommend the program to people often, along with a few other AVs. Avast uses very little ram, but I would consider the program only average in terms of cpu & disk usage.

3. vlk

vlk AV Expert

dazed1, interesting.

Would you mind helping us analyze the problem by doing the following?

1. While the AvastSvc.exe CPU usage is high, right-click the process in Process Explorer, and select Create Dump -> Create Full Dump

2. Compress the resulting file (e.g. with ZIP) and name it uniquely (e.g. dazed1_dump.zip)

3. Upload the file to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (write-only anonymous access).

Thanks
    Vlk

4. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the help, you got pm!

5. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Bump!

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Not using avast at the moment (in fact no av installed at present) ,but i notice that when playing vids /flash stuff through firefox ,the plugin container for firefox uses around the same cpu usage 17.7 % no matter what spec pc you have.Maybe avast service is acting like the firefox plugin container only in chrome? especially as it has web scanning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.