Avast 6.0.1203.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Spooony, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Updating Avast to 6.0.1203.0 Windows would freeze and crash after 20 seconds or so (running Win 7 Home Prem; 64 bit).

Anyone had similar issues?

2. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

i have a machine with version 6.0.1203 and 7x64, no problems so far.

3. Ariadne22

Ariadne22 Registered Member

My son had to remove Avast from his machine. Kept getting a memory message. He has Windows 7, Vista, 64 bit, 4G Ram. I've read Avast can be a memory hog. I installed ESET NOD32 AV4 for that reason.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive never heard that before, but avast runs fine on my system, no freezing.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although I am not using it now, I was a few weeks ago running
    Avast IS. It ran great. My sig shows my machine.
    Jerry

6. Ariadne22

Ariadne22 Registered Member

Hey, Jerry, sorry to go off topic, but how can you run both Avira/MBAM in realtime? Same Q on Norton/MBAM. Don't they conflict?

I was planning to download MBAM as an on-demand antimalware alongside Hitman, which I already have and love.

7. DBone

DBone Registered Member

W7 Home Premium x64 with AIS 6.0.1203. It's running invisibly here and as I type this the 3 processes (I have a firewall with AIS) are using just under 11k of RAM. Hardly a memory hog! :cool:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Avast........ a memory hog?!! o_O That's the best joke I've ever heard.:argh:

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

avast is NOT in any way a memory hog...lol

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Nothing on Windows 7 64-bit Pro, although I'm sure there's more security software running on mine.

11. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Okay, there's no point denying it. avast! does use RAM.
    Attached shot shows avast! Internet Security, minus firewall, during an update. According to Process Explorer, the service is "hogging" ~5.4MB :eek: :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Isn't the Working Set more accurate?

13. m0unds

m0unds Guest

yep..

14. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Neither is more or less accurate. Each is a different set.

"Working Set" is the amount of memory used by an application's processes, including memory shared with processes that were not initiated by the application in question.
    "WS Private Bytes" is the memory occupied by processes exclusively allocated/generated by an application.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've also read that pigs can fly ;)

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's one reason why I left NOD32 AV, because IT is a memory hog compared to Avast.:)

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Ariadne22,

No, I have never experienced a conflict running it full time. I have used MBAM and SAS from their introduction, and have never had a problem running them in real time alongside Avira, Avast, Norton, or Kaspersky.

I am persuaded, as a result of having friends using up to date, top tier AVs getting infected with rogues, that MBAM is necessary. For whatever reason AVs seem to fail to identify and remove some rogues. MBAM identifies and removes them.

Two AVs would conflict, but AV + MBAM or SAS does not.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. snippits

snippits Registered Member

The only issue I had installing Avast Internet Security was that my W7 32 bit computer would blue screen during the installation, and the Avast package would be corrupted.

I read a bit in the Avast forums until I found somebody with a similar problem. It turns out that having Sandboxie installed at time of Avast installation was causing the blue screen. After I uninstalled Sandboxie, the Avast installation went smoothly. So I am thinking maybe that the OP possibly has a corrupted install or conflicting software.

19. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

lol... Thats a good joke
    first, we need an in depth knowledge of how security products work before assuming things

20. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

I have Avast IS in a W7 x32 system with SBIE 3.56 and did not experienced any issues as of now. I ssues that I got previously was the updating of signatures but that was cured by the recent 2 builds prior 1203. Have not experienced it as a resource hog also. Maybe there's something else that's eating up the Ariadne22 son's resources...

As for the OP's, no crashes on my W7 x64 system here. Maybe a clean install would cure it.

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I can tell you that this thread on Avira's forum recommends running MBAM on demand only. http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1097094#post1097094 I'm not saying you can't run it realtime and do it successfully and without incident though. Same with SAS.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Hammer,
    Yes, I know that the Avira folks don't seem to want anything running realtime with Avira. Close to a year ago I had excesssive scan times, and like this last time they said in effect to not run my other applications. As a result I removed Avira from this computer.

However, on my laptop the full system scan takes about 45 minutes. I find that acceptable, but if it increases much I'll remove Avira.
    I have posted of the experience of a couple of friends getting infected by a rogue. Also that the AV, one of which was Norton did not intercept or remove the rogue. They could not download from the internet, but I took MBAM on a disk to one, and with a Quick Scan it found and removed the rogue.

I am not prepared to argue whether Avira would have prevented the infection, but year after year Norton is one of the top AVs on the AV Comparatives tests. Accordingly, my view is that if can happen to Norton it can happen to any AV.
    So I am persuaded of the need to run MBAM realtime, and if a certain AV cannot run with it then the AV goes and I get one which will.

The first AV I used was Bit Defender for several years. The I got BSOD. The BD folks said remove everything including my firewall and trust BD. Have not considered BD since.

So I won't argue with the Avira guys, but will continue as I think is best. I recognize my great lack of expertise, but I have never had an infection in 15 years or so owning a computer. That does not prove my view, but it helps.

Thanks for the input.
    Jerry

23. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

But how high are these pigs really flyingo_O? I have seen a horse fly! Just teasing...have a good weekend!

24. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Registered Member

I've been using Avast for nearly 8 years and I've never had a memory hog, and I do agree with RejZoR I've also read that pigs can fly and you need a brain check up.

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Actually almost all of them (except Prevx) say that don't they? One of the Mods on Avira's forum is experimenting with running MBAM realtime for a while now and hasn't had an issue (yet), your mileage may vary of course.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.