avast 5 config

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Superman20, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superman20

Superman20 Registered Member

It seems that avast 5 free version only scans files on execution. For example I downloaded eicar zip file to desktop and to my surprise avast did not scan it - only when I selected the file and scanned it manually it was detected. Is it possible to change the settings so that avast detects the file when it is downloaded/ saved to computer?

Thanks

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yeah, it's possible

File System Shield - Expert Settings - Scan when writing
    File System Shield - Expert Settings - Packers

Is it a good idea? Definitely not performance wise.

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Antivir does that by default I believe - scan on reading and writing. And although there is a slight performance hit when compared to avast!, its nothing major. I wonder what sort of a hit does an avast! protected sytem takes with this option enabled. Gonna add this to my weekend diagnosis list.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Nonw, since Avast free has superb caching mechanism (omitting files scanned earlier) :thumb:

5. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Do you have web-shield enabled? I ask this because web-shield is by default set to unpack and scan zip files among other packers, and it should have caught it, without giving any chance for the file system shield to engage. Though its true that if such a file would have come from an external source like a thumb drive, web shield would have played no role.

6. Superman20

yes i have webshield enabled with both webshield and file system shield set to high heuristics and set to scan all packers. Depite these measures avast still fails to scan eicar zip file on desktop until I manually scan the file myself.

7. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Enabling full unpacking of archives in the on-access scanner is not a good idea. Do you want the scanner to unpack your 4GB ISO images as soon as you touch them? Hardly.

Otherwise, avast by default (of course) scans files on execute, on read and on write. Just doesn't unpack archive files.

8. Superman20

But i dont understand why it would take up more memory escpecially when avira has this feature enabled and it doesnt seem to take up so much RAM.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That's what MSE is doing. Highly idiotic and useless. Once i've downloaded FEAR Combar game, a 2,5GB EXE installer. And my Core i7 920 with 6GB was halt to a crawl because of it. Now imagine doing that on a dual core with 2GB of RAM...

10. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Come on RejZor stop bragging :D :p.

Thanks.

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

The only place I have it scan for packers is in the Full Scan, and Windows Explorer scan (i.e. the "right click scan"). I make it a point to do the latter scan after downloading an archive, before unpacking it. If you discipline yourself to do so it's much more economical that way, as having it scan archives (especially large ones) while they're downloading can (and usually does) slow it down substantially. On the other hand it takes just seconds to right click and scan it afterward, and any malware cannot execute until you've extracted the files anyway.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'll have a better system soon.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.