Avast! 5 beta 1

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Az7, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i aggree with you ICE

to let everyone know they are releasing a refresh beta this weekend fixing the amount of def the beta has. so we should have a full database. thats all i know for fixs, they more then likely fix more then that.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

No I don't have MSE installed. I will wait for a newer build. thanks

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Hmm... I just tested with a sort of Trojan and avast! would say that it blocked the connection attempt, but it still saved itself to my temporary directory (of my web-browser, that's) where it would've executed from. The thing that avast! actually did was blocking it from executing, but it didn't "block the connection attempt" since it's on my PC and in complete form - it shouldn't be there at all!

I believe that it's there in complete form since Hitman Pro detected it (the file) when I did a scan for that sole testing-purpose.

Below you'll find a screenshot of my scan with Hitman Pro - its results.

The web-browser is Opera v10 (pre-release as I'm writing this) and the OS is Windows XP Pro SP3 which is fully up-to-date.

Don't hesitate to ask for more information! :)

Attached Files:

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Does the new avast! still contain VRDB?

5. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Zimzi is right.
    It's not in Avast 5 beta.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I've now read that on the avast! forum as well. Thank you both for the info. I'm looking forward to v5. :)

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

VRDB was removed because the trend and complexity of current file infectors make it obsolete and well, useless.

9. Captn

Captn Registered Member

Nice thank you for that information.

10. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

1. I tested stopping a module - more specifically the Behavior Shield. I click on Stop and select to stop permanently, and the traffic correctly reports that the module is stopped, but everything else is intact. In other words it's sort of a "refresh-problem"... The buttons don't switch so that I can click on Start, and the "Protection Status" still says "Running". If I instead start a module, the result is the same but obviously vice versa.

2. This is connected to #1... with the Behavior Shield disabled (simply because that's the one that was turned off in this case), the overall status still reports "fully protected", all green and happy.

3. With the "console" (the software) open, the taskbar item reads "avast! Internet Security (BETA)".

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

any new beta refresh released lately?

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

On the weekend? I hope, I couldnt get the current build to install.

14. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Looks like a new Beta refresh is available. It hasn't been officially announced but you can download it.

Version 5.0.104

No change log yet.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=48391.0

Reply #9 from 'Vlk':

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Anyone know where the download link is?

16. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

17. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

any clue on how its working?

18. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

I did a clean installation. The main avast! service ate half of my CPU (Intel Core2 T5200) constantly. Mail Shield couldn't be started at each start up therefore avast! UI gave me alert to fix it all the time but the fix button didn't work neither. The other shields seemed active on the UI but obviously web shield didn't function but standard shield did. Right-click scan feature didn't work as well. And according to Vlk's post, the database still not complete. I didn't have a look at the other features deeply because I couldn't stand the CPU consuming so I tried to uninstall it. I say "I tried" as it didn't uninstall properly. After two attempts, Revo Uninstaller helped me. Hope there aren't any remnants now. :p

For me it's still an alpha. Let me wait for the next release which will be released next week.

P.S. I'm using Windows 7 RC (7100) 32-bit.

19. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Was that with build 5.0.104?

20. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

wow,thanks..........

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Strange. It's running fine here on a Vista Home (sp2) and XP (sp3) pc's. The last 2 beta's were stable for me. There are a few things not implemented yet, like the explorer scan module, behavior shield and daily updates. However, I have tested it with a limited sample of malware and it has responded nicely to the badies. The only other security software I'm running is SBIE and Windows FW. Could be a conflict with some of the other security apps you have and/or with win 7.

Ice

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

This version runs much better for me. May display some RAM usage improvements. Only thing that is mildly a concern it is took well over two hours to scan about 100meg of data. If I remember correctly, I believe Avast 4 also took a long time for full scans.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Unless you're running a low end CPU from last decade, i find that highly unlikely.
    Or you're scanning 100MB of executable files only. That takes long with any AV.
    As a side note. avast! 5 can utilize up to 12 threads. So everyone with Intel Core i7 and upcoming Core i9 can really fully utilize it. And there is a disk speed limitation. Unless you have ultra fast SSD, scan s will take as much as they need to take. It's usually 50MB/s limit. Processor and RAM could do it, but HDD just can't keep up.

24. i_g

i_g Registered Member

I'd say that PK's note on avast! forum about 12 threads was a bit confusing :)
    He was talking about on-access protection only... and he meant that there are 12 threads "taking care" of the resident protection. However, further parts of the scanning process are multithreaded, so you can certainly use even more CPUs, if you had them ;)

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Other scanners on this machine usually take between 20-45 min. Its a dualcore AMD 4200X2 with 2gb ram, and windows 7 32bit. Not high end by any means, but still, like I said other programs scan much faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.