Avast! 5 beta 1

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Az7, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Can Avast be original in any way. I mean seriously, they need stop copying Norton.

2. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

It appears from the post before that Avast won't be using pulse updates.

3. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Copying Norton?

avast! had 'Push Updates' long before Norton had 'Pulse Updates'.
    (Forum contributors using Norton terminology as shorthand for a proposed avast! feature doesn't make that feature a copy.)

avast! had a smooth-running, unobtrusive, incremental & frequently updating, effective AV for years before Norton caught up (I could say "copied") with NAV 2009.

avast! had a free-for-home-use comprehensive anti-malware product way before Nort..... Oh, sorry. Got carried away. ;)

4. guest

guest Guest

As in other thread someone ask you, are you working for Norton? :ninja:

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ye... i have nothing else to say since u CLEARLY havent touched up on ur history, Avast has had the PUSH, not PULSE updates since before v5 and DEFINITELY before Norton had its PUSH updates, so please get ur facts straight, and anyways if it does make u happy, the PUSH updates are no longer going to be implemented (for now)

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Care to explain what was ever "copied" from Norton/Symantec ?
    Because i can't remember any such thing.

7. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Is it a big risk to check this in Quick Scan Settings? I understand that the overall speed of the realtime shield will be faster but im not really sure... Thx
    2009-11-03_175815.jpg
    Also if i uncheck it for the next scan will it also delete this information stored before? Or is it this cached from now on without a time limit?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
  8. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I think it is cached until the next signature update.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Depends on the file. If signature is from Microsoft or aany other reputable company, it's permanently stored in the cache. Other files are cached until next signature update.

10. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Thx. I love these features. Saves a lot of cpu. Im using avast 5 and prevx together and it feels like i havent installed any security app at all. Amazing.

11. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

Transient Cache:
    If transient caching is used, a file that has been scanned, and in which no infection was detected, will not be scanned again the next time it is accessed. However, this is only valid until the next virus definitions update, as the file may contain an infection that was not previously detected but which may be detected based on the new virus definitions. Also, information that the file is clean will only be stored in the computer's operating (temporary) memory. This means that when the system is restarted the information will be lost, therefore the file will also be scanned again the next time it is accessed after a system restart.

Persistent Cache:
    If persistent caching is used and a file is verified as clean, this information will be stored in the permanent memory. This means it will not be lost after a system restart and it is also not affected by virus definition updates. Verified clean files are files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. some operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers, or other files covered by the avast! whitelist.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks for the clarification

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Are there separate settings for the right click scan? Cant find them...

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They are, but are also hidden by default. You have to enable them under main settings first, before you'll see them under scan menu.

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

18. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I always need to resize the gui of the first right click scan after install. Otherwise it doesnt show the scanning and seems not to start but its running in the background i think...
    One thing i dont really like is their sig update intervals of, most of the time, one per day. Im not really convinced with their heuristics.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What's wrong with daily signature releases? They can release more if needed (i think 6 updates a day was the highest number).
    Most of ppl are mixing up update check intervals with actual signature releases.

For example, MSE checks for updates only every 24 hours and most of the time signatures are released in similar timeframe.

AVIRA Free for example checks for updates every 24 hours, but releases signatures every few hours.

AVG checks for updates every 24 hours and on established internet connection. Signatures are released daily and more often if needed.

avast! on the other hand checks for updates every 4 hours and on every connection to internet while signatures are relealsed daily, but can be released more often in case of any outbreaks.

AVIRA Free is a good example of how useless one extreme can be. They release actual signatures like every 2 hours or so, but they check for them only every 24 hours. Similar goes to all the others. Where with avast!, you get a pretty good blend of update checks with regular actual updates.
    Ideal would be update check every 4 hours and signature release every 4 hours, but that's still a far fetched idea, so don't expect it anytime soon (at least for free). Quantum updates are planned for avast! 5.1 sometime next year that will be delivering updates every 10 minutes. But this feature will only be available to paying customers due to high bandwidth usage.

20. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I think Avast updates perfectly. When I fire up my pc I get an update and sometimes during the day another update comes down etc. I tried all the rest and I think Avast is on top in this department.

Ice

21. Habakuck

I have a question regarding the "Full Scan Options":

Why cant i choose the effectiveness of the scan? I can only configure a very save scan (Full rootkit scan and so on) by configure an Explorer Scan. The Full Scan Options simply dont allow me to configure that.
    Why?
    So i can not run a very save full scan (full rootkit detection on all drives)!
    I have to manually scan my harddrives via right klick to get the full rootkit scan.

22. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Got it. But in the case of Avira they have very good heuristics and implement new malware very fast. Also you can manual update the sigs if you want but i bet you know that already. Same with Avast but most of the time its not necessary because there is only a new update per day.

What i want to know. Do you think that updating the sigs once per day is really sufficient?

23. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

The rootkit scan is run every time you reboot, automatically. Dont know if its a full rootkit scan thugh...

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not sure for you, but i don't have the time or nerves to constantly manually click update button all the freakin time. I just don't see the point in doing that.
    So even if they release 1000 updates a day, i'll probably harvest 500 of them 2 a day. That's bad by design. Works for paybale version because it checks hourly, but free is just awful with it's 24h cycle check. avast! is far better than that.

25. Habakuck

That can't be a full rootkit scan! It would take too long.

Look at it: For the Windows Explorer Scan and the Screensaver scan you can specifiy the effectiveness. Not for the Quick or the Full Scan. Why?

You see if you check the Options for the Full scan that it only runs with Rootkitscan (Quick Scan). Not Rotkitscan (Full Scan). But if i do a full scan i think it should really be a FULL scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.