avast 5.1 beta out now

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=67141.0

** INTRODUCING: BETA VERSION OF AVAST 5.1 [NOW 5.1.803] **
    « on: Today at 09:29:53 PM »
    Hi *,

we'll soon be releasing a new build of avast - version 5.1. This includes the three "consumer" editions of avast - i.e. avast! Free Antivirus, avast! Pro Antivirus and avast! Internet Security. The business products (avast! Business Protection and avast! Business Protection Plus) unfortunately aren't ready for the prime time yet and will be released later.

As usual, we're making the new version available for public testing before it's officially released.

Version 5.1.803 still misses a few things that will be in the next couple of days. For example, some of the Behavior Shield changes aren't there in this build yet (but there's a progress compared to the previous build 5.1.79:cool:.

How to get it
    Free AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.803/setup_av_free.exe
    Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.803/setup_av_pro.exe
    IS: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.803/setup_ais.exe

How to install it
    Just run the setup executable (links above). You can either install it from scratch, or on top of an existing avast installation (installing over both 5.0.xxx or 4.8.yyy should be fine). A reboot will be required to complete the installation.

What's new
    Most notable improvements include:
    - Boot-time scanner for 64-bit OSes (finally!)
    - Behavior Shield improvements - now with more sensors and able to detect exact offenders*
    - Improved cleaning of infected computers
    - Improved anti-rootkit engine - now capable of dealing with the latest TDL variants, for example
    - Web Shield improvements (both stability and performance related)
    - Mail and Web Shields not hosted in separate NT services anymore, resulting in much faster starts
    - IS: new version of antispam engine
    - Sound packs (more info coming later)

*The Behavior Shield functionality is still incomplete in this build. And even in the final v5.1, it will work only in "passive mode", which means that the new sensors will be active but won't be stopping the attacks, just reporting them to our backend infrastructure (unless you have opted out from the avast! community membership). This is to allow us to collect enough data before enabling the real thing in Q1 2011.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Guess I won't be replacing AVG this year.

3. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

Still no behaviour shield for 64 bit?

...lol

4. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Ran the installer..at the end it said that there was a n error but asked for a restart
    i restarted and the product was updated...running smooth...
    the behavior shield has got settings now :) even though it doesnt work in x64 :p
    ppl at avast forum are complaining about quite a few things...no trouble yet for me

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Thanks zfactor for the post. So far so good.

6. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Does anyone know if they plan to fix (or if they have already in the current beta) the problem in AIS FW with intermittent stuttering when running uTorrent? I think RejZoR had that problem IRC. I can't test the beta ATM to check...

7. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

I tryed The Beta but my pc start being slow and lagging so much so i did unistall Avast 5.1 Beta and install Avast internet Security agin now its work perfect agin :argh:

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, Avast! 5 is taking a long way to bring their features on :p

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

updated with the newest beta info 5.1.803 see first post

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Maybe an important note that Behavior Shield is now operational even on 64bit systems. Not sure to what extent, but it's displaying events being analyzed.

11. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I really like Avast! and it is great to know that it is evolving, I came to use for very little time to Avast! IS before formatting and can say that he was very fast, one of the fastest AVs that I used, but the module Behavior seems to do nothing, and has no such check the x64 boot which is a penalty.

Now I hear that virtualization it is weak compared to the Sandboxie and other SD, it will be improved with this new version or will improved only in version 6?

12. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

cool..finally bb for x64...will try the new beta sum time later

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The plan is that they wil not enable it fully just yet, instead they will let it run in passive mode, so it will just gather data. Once they'll have enough info, they'll enable it fully with blocking capabilities. Considering the number of users i'm estimating hat they will gather the data quite fast.

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

rejzor ur testing free,pro or ais ?

15. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Updated to the latest beta [ free version ] and runnig without problems here...bb also working :thumb:

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Free on 64bit system (main PC) and AIS on 32bit system (netbook).

17. Rtvn3

Rtvn3 Registered Member

lol i downloaded 5.0.677 yesterday, i check for an update for the program today and i don't see any beta available.

vista 64 bit here.

18. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

The beta is only available in Avast! Forums in the Beta section..

19. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

u cant update to beta from a stable product...u need the installer from the 1st post

20. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Lol, I think to quite some extent. My win7 x64 virtual machine has more than 6000 events analyzed in the last 36 hours and my win7 x86 machine only 350.

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Installed on wife's laptop. Faster startup web + mail shield and behavioral shield has settings now :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As i said, it depends. On my netbook with WinXP i also get just few events analyzed where the biggest spike on my Win7 64bit rig is 14.000.
    I was more talking regarding limitations imposed by the 64bit OS. Certain features just aren't possible on 64bit OS.

24. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

5.1.807 a no go for me, caused a BSOD.

25. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

a new beta has been posted,5.1.822

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.