Avast! 4.8 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Malcontent, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octogen

octogen Registered Member

You would find Avast working and updating just as well in a limited user account.

Excellent job, Alwil! Avast is a brilliant piece of software. :thumb:

2. 337

337 Registered Member

Bump, anyone?

3. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

woot! thanks octogen, i'll wait a week or so then test install it on my desktop and my brother's laptop.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

A strange question.

All avast features are fully Vista compatible since November 2006 (both 32-bit and 64-bit).

5. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I to think Avast need a fresh new interface. The current one are ugly as hell, and hard to navigate in.

When are version 5 sheduled to be released then? This year, or next year?

6. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I just installed it on my son's computer.The user face is a little different I agree.Seems to be running well and i'm sure i'll get used to it.This is the first time I ever used it.

7. XANA

XANA Registered Member

I also like the interface (the current one, the default).

Is there any way to make it so you (I) don't have to run as administator in XP SP3?

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I totally agree!

9. rookieman

Would I be able to run this with Comodo?i have Comodo installed and it's running well,or am i better off deleting it?:(

10. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Do you mean Comodo AV or firewall?

Cheers

11. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

sure can they work great together. no problems here and been using it for a time and with the 4.8 I have had no problems. The Comodo FW + Avast AV that is

12. rookieman

I'm sorry I never explained myself very well!I was looking to run Comodo Firewall with Avast Pro.Do you see any problems with this??Thanks.;)

13. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

As HyperFlow just statet, there should be no problems with that combination. But try it out, see how it'll work on your rig.:)

Cheers

14. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i can't find self protection in Avast 4.8? where is it?

15. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

For one example, try closing the AV using taskmanager.

16. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

look in setting than trouble shooting.

17. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Hey rookie I run Comodo Pro Firewall + Memory Firewall + Ghost Security + Avast 4.8 inkl. all monitors!
    :D And guess what...:D :D :D :D Seamless with ease... no problems, system works fine!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

18. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Update went fine. Avast auto updated. Did a boot scan with it and I have no rootkits. :) Glad to see that. I love how this has a rootkit scanner. I was trying to figure out which one to get and I found out the new version of Avast has one. :)

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I'm not sure if I'm the only one confused about this but here goes. I know Avast now has been Certified as a true antispyware program as far as for On Demand detection. However, I can't seem to get a definite answer as to whether or not it's RealTime spyware detection has been improved. I know it has had some RealTime antispyware capabilities in past versions. Thanks.

20. Code_Blue

Code_Blue Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using the latest and greatest of both and still can not get the Sandboxie control center to load properly. I uninstalled and reinstalled Sandboxie but no resolution. I'll try doing the same with Avast! as well unless someone has a better idea.

I like Sandboxie a lot but the Avast, Threatfire, PC Tools FW combo has been great for me and I prefer not to mess with it unless absolutely necessary.

21. Shelty

Shelty Registered Member

I decided to try Avast 4.8 and it has been running so good that I had to buy it. No problems with Online Armor.

22. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Has anyone noticed that Avast creates a shared folder on Vista? Its in an area that can only be seen if "view hidden folders" is enabled. It makes a large portion of the c:\users directory shared.

23. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just wondered what size MB Avast is in other people's Add or Remove Programs?
    My new install of 4.8 is 71.30MB, but my wife's who I did a Program Update from 4.7 to 4.8 is only around 43MB. I had installed hers and now mine both as Custom Installs and only installed the Web, Standard and Network Shields along with Instant Message, and without extra Languages. Just curious about this. Thanks.

24. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Mine is 64.16MB but what dies it matter.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It is great that the upgrade is done through the Program Update, and does not require 4.7 to be uninstalled and then install 4.8. I admit that is one of my gripes with KIS/KAV.

Avast is a user friendly AV, and is one that has never caused issues with either of my computers. Alwil has done a great job it appears. It is getting crowded at the top now with Avast and AVG. Of course the Home version of Avast is as good as the paid version for most of us.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.