avast! 2016 BETA released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Oct 1, 2015.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

2. guest

guest Guest

Reading just the changelog you wouldn't say is an antivirus product.

3. pbeg7

pbeg7 Registered Member

Have to agree, bloooat.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Would a plain old-fashioned AV scanner work better for you guys?

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I have very mixed feelings about it. And to be honest, I don't really like the new interface all that much. It's the same thing as 2015 one, just way less efficient and more clumsy.

And the new version doesn't really bring anything new apart from more useless bloat (which can luckily be unchecked or removed later). Not even Secure VM is available on Win10 64bit. I have a 6 core, 32GB RAM powerhouse and AV that can't use any of it just because I have Win10. A bit disappoint.

6. vlk

vlk AV Expert

What makes a feature valuable, and what makes it bloat? E.g., why is Secure VM valuable but (say) SafeZone or Passwords bloat?

7. vlk

vlk AV Expert

BTW the W10 thing will likely get resolved, it's the first beta and W10 is still bit of a moving target... especially with the upcoming November update that changes quite a few things internally.

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I think it should be the other way around .. remove all the features except the antivirus in the installer and if people want to install the other features they can tick it and it will get downloaded and installed . This will make download size small and users happy imo . Or maybe keep two installers one with just av and other with av + features/bloat

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I was going to test AVG 2016 today, but instead opted to install this. I was going to post earlier, but didn't want to pile on. I also don't like all the add-ons. Maybe create a "slim" version, similar to CCleaner, that would just have the base AV functions? I know feedback was solicited about 1-2 months back what people felt about Avast. It seems the feedback was mostly ignored, at least what I have seen so far.

Also, the installer should clearly label what features require a paid sub. Or better yet, take them out of the free version, and just have free trial of the paid version. On the first install, I included some options that I later found out needed me to upgrade.

Edit: Regarding the GUI, I am fine with it, though feel it could be a bit smaller. Lot of unused space on the main screen.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Secure VM is valuable because it's a core protective feature. SafeZone and password manager aren't. Besides, I'm using alternate tools for those, there is no replacement for Secure VM...

I'd prefer seeing more investment into cloud, behavior analysis and blocking, heuristics etc. The stuff that matters to everyone without exception. Most of us already use browser that is convenient to us, password manager that we are already used to it and is more convenient and most likely already more secure etc. I'm using LastPass for example because I can have passwords protected with 2 stage authentication and stored entirely online so no one can snoop passwords from the HDD like it can be done for browser stored passwords. Also I know I'll have my passwords secure when I reformat my systems, where I often lost them before because I forgot to backup browser profile. And that's not cool when you have 100+ logins with random generated 16+ character passwords...

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Resource usage seems pretty light.

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

another kitchen sink release it seems.

13. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

The lynch mob returns......

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Anyone get "Start menu and Cortana aren't working" error (on Win10)? My dad's PC has been getting it since installing Avast. Finally had to walk him threw uninstalling it over the phone. I did a bit a research, and it seemed a lot of people with the error were Avast users.

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I still consider it a solid program. Just surprised after soliciting honest feedback, with the masses complaining about all the add-ons, they didn't seem to listen much. Left pretty much everything the same. Maybe too much time/money invested on the auxiliary programs to drops them at this point.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's not the lynch mob, it's simply what people hate about AV's the most. avast! is modular thankfully, but you just can't shake off then feeling they are spending resources and time on things that aren't important and should be spent on protection more instead.

I mean, until they are consistently in top 3 spot, I wouldn't spend a single Euro on anything else. But they apparently know the priorities better...

17. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Read the avast 2016 thread over at malwaretips. Video Downloader and a browser added to the install? Yeah, I would say that is bloat.

18. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

I have had one client with this issue, with about 30 Windows 10 installs, all with Avast installed as well. I uninstalled Avast then reinstalled and the issue was gone. Have they figured out what caused it?

19. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

That's the dilemma: can't please everyone all the time; hence, installation options. One man's bloat being another's feature isn't an issue; it looks like everything is selectable in the custom install dialog.

In case the question wasn't purely rhetorical: one form bloat is trying to do something someone else has already mastered, making for an inferior redundancy; i.e. anyone's password solution vs. LastPass, KeePass, RoboForm, et. al.

I'll give this a whirl though.

Post-install update:
    • After logging in, the main UI kept prompting me to log in. I don't know how many times I logged in before I noticed my name in the upper right indicating that, even though I was still getting prompted, I was logged in. Also, the new Captcha kept wanting to verify my humanness..which was a first time I've ever been challenged by that in spite of never being challenged anywhere else (including the avast web site login). Possibly noteworthy: I had to reset my password. Another issue: I had to refresh the web site in order for it to display (it only showed "Loading..." for a few minutes)
    • Settings window is re-sizable...much needed...however, the main window isn't and I have to scroll through a peep-hole. I don't know what it is with security products' penchant for non-re-sizable windows
    • The main menu doesn't need to be crammed into a hamburger button; it should be the main screen along with status
    • Cleanup tells me there are "configuration errors"--to which I say, "snake oil". Stooping to scareware cheapens your product and your brand
    • Cleanup wants to disable 39 unnecessary applications without telling me what they are (I'm not looking up 39 GUIDs to see what they are--especially if I can't copy/paste them). Anyone who doesn't know what a GUID is and clicks "Optimize my PC" is going to have problems and either not know why or blame your product (and if I recommended avast!, they would blame me; hence, I can't recommend avast!)
    • MY SSD-based PC starts plenty fast; disabling part of my sound driver (and cheapening the sound quality), disabling Adobe updates (which is first line of security) isn't worth the 0.5 sec bootup time savings (pretty messed up priorities there). It also wants to disable startup items that are already disabled
    • Home Network Security scan seems to be stuck on determining my own IP (been a few minutes, no progress beyond the first step). There's also a button "D" that I don't know what it is. The Stop button is non-responsive
    • The browser looks pretty neat. The included extensions are nice (good call including an adblocker)
    • I always thought the software updater was handy and distinct
    • Modal windows (product updated acknowledgement) open behind other avast! windows; I have to click the task bar to reveal them

Personally, all I'm interested in is a good AV scanner with light HIPS/HIDS (not all Comodo commando-like where getting malware would actually be easier to deal with than Comodo) and anti-exploit if you wanted to go all-in-one and maybe the web shield (I have mixed feelings on that). All that other stuff is bloat (except for the software updater and pirate talk language--which the main UI still needs some localization strings for it).

Another update: In regular glancing at the running full scan, progress reset (was at 46%, now at 11%); it may have reset on the first detection as that was incremented.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  20. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

wow, this must be so 2015 that "improved installation", "improved feedback" and "improved password management" are amongst the highlighted changes for a security product.
    which basically means, that stick to 2015.

21. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

And the installer of free Avast is app 200MB now.

They provide custom install but all the included softs increase the size of the installer.

Do they provide online installer to download/install needed modules/features only as guess it will be smaller size to download? And is the downloaded installer saved anywhere on harddisk for later install/reinstall?

22. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

You can just edit the link and add "_online" to the end so it looks like ..._online.exe

23. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

My pros and cons with avast! 2016 BETA:

PROS...

Interface:
    I love the simplicity, makes it feel less cluttered.
    Less advertisements, the better - So, great job making it less stressful looking.

Features:
    SafeZone Browser is quite nice and a great addition to the product.
    All the technology behind avast! is still there, so no issues when it comes to that.

CONS...

Installer in free version:
    Installer is getting bigger
    Too many optional features in custom install.

Custom options should mention what features are free and which ones are trialed.

Interface:
    Not enough color, feels bland and to be honest...boring.
    Main window isn't resizable.
    "You are Protected" should be centered with the interface, it currently feels out of balance.
    The dark borders for popups and options feel like they don't go with the main/home interface (It feels like leftovers from previous version)

Features:
    NG still not available/compatible for Windows 10
    While installing an update via Software Updater, I don't want to be bothered with an advertisement asking me to install Google Chrome.

Navigation:
    This version makes me feel like I need to initiate extra steps to do what I need to do/access (It currently lacks easily accessible options).

BUGS...
    * Home Network Security - Getting stuck mid scan, can't stop either. Not sure what the "D" button is *

END NOTE...
    My biggest issue is the addition of too much stuff - Features, advertisements, etc.
    I'm basically wanting an AV that is simple and gets the job done effectively, but with less crap to deal with.

In my opinion...Less is more.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  24. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I like the way you present it Tyrizian! It's an analysis, not a complaint or criticism!

25. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Thanks for your feedback, guys. This is great!

And to answer this comment:
    When I was asking the question (about 1 month ago), this version has pretty much already "left the station", i.e. was spec'ed out and frozen for the most part. The feedback I'm now trying to collect will be reflected in the version after this. I think we now have a much better understanding of your needs and wishes, and definitely want to address them. Just need a bit more time...

Thanks
    Vlk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.